Correct battery wire/cable

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Correct battery wire/cable
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Hey fellas, what is the correct gauge battery cable I should use for the 12v battery on my '14 Touring? With that in mind, what is the smallest gauge I can get away with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Hi Bill,

Kind of depends. Do you have a starter on your 14? If not, it really doesn't matter much. There's nothings else that's going to draw amps like a starter does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

"nothings else".... great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Hey, Jerry

No starter - just my arm! So any gauge will do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Here's the deal: You probably will be running two headlights, a tail light, and your spark coils, plus maybe a GPS or radio. The total amperage draw would be something on the order of less than 20 amps.

The skinny battery cables used in modern 12 volt cars will handle at least 100 amps for a short burst.

A #12 or #10 wire will handle your load easily.

You could use Romex or other household wire, but be sure to use stranded rather than solid wire. It's more forgiving to vibration.

Hopefully that tells you what you need to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

P. S. In case you didn't know -- wire size gets bigger as the gauge gets smaller.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration