Carbide Generators, 13-14

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carbide Generators, 13-14
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

I have noted three different styles of the Jno.Brown type generator bottoms. One with no bead, others with a bead near the bottom, and others with a bead around the center. Any information on the significance of this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Hello Larry:
Are these the bottom cans, and are these parts stamped or tagged Jno. Brown ?
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Does this one fit into the pattern ? I have Jno. Brown lamps on my '13 roadster, there is no ID on the carbide generator anywhere that I can see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Correct Rich. That is the point of this topic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:53 am:

Larry I have only one Jon Brown with the higher bead, it's funny you made that statement because I was looking at it compared to the more frequently seen middle bead JB and the higher bead JB is slightly short and stout in comparison to the lower bead. I think the higher bead is earlier, my rational is that you see similar size differences with Victors & E&J but not Corcoran. The earlier ones seen to be slightly smaller but not significantly so in comparison to the small generators you see for smaller cars like a Brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Hello Larry:
My question is whether these lower tanks may have been generic (Western Auto, Sears, Etc.) replacement parts. Now steel versus earlier corrosion resistant brass, would not moisture not removed from the tank, eventually rot the tank? I've seen a couple of bottom tanks where the mfr. name is stamped in the bottom. Would you think that a volume producer like Jno. Brown would ID these parts...just curious?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:16 am:

I have a JNO Brown generator on my '14. The only place the manufacturer marked them is on the brass escutcheon around the water valve. The residue from the calcium carbide is very benign, it does not seem to cause any corrosion inside the galvanized tank and basket assembly. If you find one that is all rusted out it is likely from rain water collecting in it as it sat in a junk pile somewhere.

Corcoran and Victor did not mark their tanks at all in 13 - 14.

Brown had a nice manufacturer's mark on their 1909 - 1912 all brass tanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:26 am:

I've seen some Victor generators with the name embossed around the circumference of the brass drip plate, but I wonder if these were used on Fords?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

I think this may be a Victor for 1913-14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:05 am:

I looked agAin carefully, no name at all on my generator- does that mean it's not a Brown ? Did Ford mis-match lamp equipment and generators ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Looking for history, I found a trade journal article that stated Victor and Corcoran merged in 1916. I wonder what they turned to as acetylene lighting waned ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration