Robbed, Close Call, Dayton Wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Robbed, Close Call, Dayton Wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

It is odd to say I was both fortunate and got robbed... but

Lock on my storage unit was cut (along with about 20 other units during Christmas/New Years). They hit during a serious snow storm where no one would be out anyway. Got my miller welder, my full size bandsaw, lots of other misc stuff that really hurt, and some really weird camping stuff that no one should care about. But they left behind my set of clincher Daytons. Walked right past them.

I had to share the story with folks who would appreciate the robbers' stupidity of stepping over dollars to grab dimes.

Sheriff called me, told me I was robbed (but not what was taken), put a sheriff lock on the door, then disappeared for a few days of vacation. Arghh! The suspense of it all about killed me. Very very happy when the deputy finally called and pulled the door open for me.

New lock on the unit, and wheels are now " in a more secure location"

Scott Conger: Yep, it happens in Wyoming also
Layden: Yep, it was those Daytons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

"Stepping over dollars to grab dimes" -- I like that. Several years ago when I started at a small manufacturing plant, our tool room was basically a highway for all the drunks and drug addicts on their way from the press department to the front office. I was warned about leaving tools unattended on my bench. They would grab a $30 hammer or adjustable wrench and slip it in their pocket, but you could leave out $300 micrometers and instruments and they'd never touch them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

In your case, they were looking for what they could pawn/sale for a quick profit. To them the wheels were zero value. Your lucky, you can replace the modern stuff, but the wheels, not so easy. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

When my wife and I first moved to Rochester from the Philadelphia area we took a few trips to Toronto, Canada ... only about 2 1/2 hours away. After one of these trips we had left about 150 Canadian dollars in the console between the seats of our car.

The next day we discovered that our car had been broken into. The thieves had taken about 2.75 in American coins and left the Canadian money. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

They must have known how worthless the Canadian money was at the time. Actually it looks a lot like monopoly money so maybe they mistook it.

I buy a lot of parts in Canada now that the discount rate is nearly 35%. Makes a big difference when buying parts for my business.

I can hardly wait for the swap meet in May.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

FYI ~

Robbery involves the forceful taking of property of one person by another.

Burglary or theft involves the taking of property belonging to another - no force used.

One is considered a crime, the other is considered a SERIOUS crime. Big difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 12:20 am:

What swap meet in May??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:17 am:

Here in California thanks to Jerry Rot Brown and the State Legislature, Burglary is not a crime, it is the new entitlement and Robbery is only a crime if the victim has a permanent injury.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:22 am:

Kevin,
And the voters (in LA and SF) who passed the Proposition That "decriminalized" all of that.
I still can't believe they went for that piece of junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Plymouth, Mi on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:13 am:

"Stepping over dollars to get dimes"

No they did exactly what they knew how to do. They know where to sell tools and how much they can get.

They do not know what antique motor parts are with or where to sell them.

If I put a rare nintendo game down and a rare T part town would you know which one was worth more or where to sell the nintendo game?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Hehehehe ! Thanks, Kevin. I forgot to hit the "refresh" key to update
my legal terminology ! Thank goodness we have people living in ivory
towers looking out for us unwashed masses ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Yes David you are correct. California's new Senator, when she was Ca. A.G., titled the Proposition so that it sounded like it was the most wonderful thing to come to California and the uninformed voters went for that POS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

You guys are using some terms pretty loosely here,.....don't get me started! I can tell you that before retiring from law enforcement, all I had to do, or, all a deputy prosecutor had to do, was use one wrong term and what would have been a good case would be lost, and some "dirt bag" that should have gone to jail slips thru' the cracks! I'm talking about terms like, theft, burglary, robbery, pos. of stolen prop, etc, etc. I can tell you that a couple of the elements of "burglary" has to be "breaking" and "entering". And believe me, it gets pretty "touchy" and "technical" when it comes to formally charging somebody with a crime! And in the 14 years I've been retired, I'm sure it hasn't gotten any less "touchy"! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

"Stepping over dollars to steal dimes" is probably pretty common. I sometimes find old coins in circulation. Especially when two or three are together I assume it's because some druggy loser stole a coin collection and spent it as change. Crime is mostly a stupid people's occupation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Yup! You're right Steve. It ain't like on T.V.! Forget all of that stuff about thorough investigating, many years of training and experience, perfecting skills as an investigator, extreme mental dexterity and piecing together of minute bits of evidence, etc, etc. Yeah, of course there really is a little of that, but any experienced or retired detective, if he's really being honest, will tell you that some of,....well,....in fact, MANY of his best cases all came together just merely because the "perp" was lazy, careless, brazen, stupid, and especially nowadays, "DESPERATE" for enough $$$ for his next drug "fix". And personally, and I really believe this from my own experience, sometimes, the good Lord looks down one day and decides,.....".O.K.,....that's it! I can't take it anymore! I've had about all I can take with you, and today,....you're gonna' get caught!!!" And along comes ol' harold, at just the right time, "dum-dee-dee-dum",.....and BINGO! Gotcha!!! What I call,....."devine intervention",......I'm convinced. FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:19 am:

I don't have a storage unit, but I've heard this about a way to prevent breaking and entering if you have a roll up door. Drill a hole near the bottom of the track such that you can put a padlock through the hole to prevent the door opening more than 6-8". Use a padlock with a key. Once you open the outside lock, you can reach under the door and take off the second lock. Very unlikely a burglar will figure that out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

That is the best way Chris.
I didn't understand that one until my unit got broken into.
All units had their padlocks cut, mine was the only one they got into.
If you can reach under the door and the lock is high enough so it can't be seen it will be impossible to saw.
The punks will not spend a lot of time on it.

Stepping over dollars".....
A machinest guy in Oakland had been admiring his new purchase of taps and dies.
They went from small to big. He had them spread out on tables.
That night some crumbs came through the roof windows and stole his hand pump cheap grease guns!
Then they unlocked the front door and walked out.
It now has pad locks on the outside too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Butler on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

The amount of car haulers down here in Casper that have been stolen since the coal/oil crash just blows me away. Sorry for what you lost but glad for what you didn't. My siblings dumped their storage locker and brought the old cars home. Mine I keep attached to my house.

Hope to meet you sometime and wishing we could get an active T group going. I have tried a couple times to connect up with the theoretical Wyoming club but have had no luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I don't understand renting a storage unit. Now your stuff is in the Walmart parking lot inside a fence with lots of other people who can legally enter and roam around. The storage facility should have gated access with some type of security system and a camera system but I am sure the lease agreement absolves the owners from theft or damage. All the other renters can get in and break into your unit. That might be more profitable than the monthly fee, an "inside job" with access then clean out neighbors units could score really big if they are watching (or the owners who could see what is being stored, they don't want couches and chairs).

A "stick built" shed the equal size of a storage unit on your propriety should cost less than a years rent but now you own it, a storage trailer even less (and mobile with no foundation and no building permit). If you can't do that due to restrictions this is an even bigger problem with what you are doing and your location and time to rethink priorities.

Only scrappers want my junk but it is at home with a security system, video cameras and little pieces of lead that fly through the air at thousands of feet per second. I have run out of room at times and sold things off that I didn't want to, have added on buildings and moved. The only time I stored cars or parts was when I was moving and stored cars and parts in my late Uncles pole barn with his widow for 6 months. She let people in to "look" at my stuff and moto-meters, helmets, googles and tools got stolen.

Keep it at home and blame yourself or put it somewhere else and roll the dice. I don't put valuables on a strangers property and pay them to watch it.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Tim,

First of all, storing your Uncle's widow in the pole barn is bound
to lead to resentments and things coming up missing.

Secondly, in a storage place, you are paying for them NOT to
watch your stuff ! They don't care !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Burger, you are a "word smith" and correct about my also late Aunt who was not in the pole barn with my parts and cars. "When I was moving and stored cars and parts in my late Uncles pole barn with his widow" did not mean her in the same location but currently they rest together. Thanks for pointing that out, a woman who had polio and lived a fully successful life was not there at that time.

Secondly there is a fiduciary responsibility for reasonable care for fees accepted. Some type of security is expected and it is not acceptable pay them to "NOT to watch your stuff!" That is why they have a storage facility, because the customer doesn't and the corporation is the care takers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

Don't shoot the messenger ! I am just telling it as I see it. Storage
places do little, if anything, to monitor movement inside their facilities.

Been there, done that, more than once, in fact !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Brian

what a rotten thing.

FYI we drove a UHaul through the winter storm a couple days after you were robbed. Scottsbluff to Casper in a white-out @ 35MPH. Then Wind River Canyon in same. Will NOT do that again. Survived it once buy maybe not twice. Wasn't in town long enough to call.
With any good fortune, will settle in WY this summer. Plan to go to MT for the July tour...how about you?

best regards,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

I hadn't read this thread since the first few comments, because the subject still makes me way too angry, on so many levels.
A few years ago, after my brother died, my sister and my mother put a bunch of family stuff into one of the big known-name nation-wide company storage places. While there, several units, including ours, were robbed. Insurance had been purchased at the insistence of the storage place, AND PAYMENT FOR THE LOSSES DENIED because there was no PROOF of the value of antiques. Buried in the fine print that nobody reads was a little phrase that included the word "receipts". Because of Califunny's decriminalization of robbery, there would be NO investigation, period. The storage company was completely unsympathetic.
My sister, (a good person by almost any reasonable standards) has a little pit-bull in her (certainly more than I do). Eventually she did get compensation to the limit of the insurance value. It took months, official letters and threats, but she got it.
The kicker to all this, and one of the reasons the corporation eventually gave in and paid, was a couple details of the "crime". The thieves went in through a vacant unit, locked with the manager's lock, using the manager's key. They also did the job after hours (not a 24 hour access facility), and went through a few other locked doors by using keys. It was an inside job. But the police, and the corporation DID NOT care! Once inside, they cut the ceiling wire with simple wire cutters and over the top dropping down into other units. A couple units (including ours) had items they decided they wanted that were too big to take out over the top. So some locks were cut after all the trouble to go in over the top.
When they dropped in from above, they managed to step onto glass cases covered by blankets, breaking nearly all the hundred year old glass. All in all, a big mess, for which the corporation denied any responsibility in spite of the obvious inside job. As far as we were able to know, and many months later, nobody had been fired over it.
I find it mind boggling that our society has degraded to the point that a major corporation cares so little about their reputation that they would willingly cover for employees under such circumstances. Word does get around, in many ways. Allowing such activities to go unpunished will only encourage other employees, at other sites, to do the same thing.

Brian S, I am also saddened by your losses. These things are always upsetting, usually more so than they should be (made more upsetting by the fact that the officials whose JOB it is to deal with them brush you off and don't take care of things the way they should). I am glad that you didn't lose those wheels. Nice matching sets are getting hard to come by, and expensive when you do find a good set.
Good luck, and take care.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration