Hayes wire wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hayes wire wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

There was a post about making "rear" Hayes wire wheels out of front ones. Does any one have the date it was posted? Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I have a car that this was done to. The Hayes front hubs were bored out. T rear hubs were turned down. The two were welded together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 12:20 am:

I did that with Budd wire wheel front hubs. Bored them out, turned T rear hubs to fit and welded them together. Worked out great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 12:58 am:

Mike,
The welding in of a rear T hub into the Budd front hub is a good method but.... I suggest the bolting in of a rear T hub when changing a front demountable rim Hayes to rear. There would not be enough clearance to change or replace a spoke if needed. The T wood wheel rear hub needs to be removable in the Hayes change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:41 am:

My 1924 touring has had the same thing done with its Hayes wheels that was done on Royce's car. I need to figure out how to add auxiliary brakes in the rear. Any ideas Royce?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Layden, good point about changing spokes. I'll have to take that into account. Thanks all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration