Sellers (almost) remorse

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sellers (almost) remorse
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:30 am:

I feel guilty because I listed my car for sale in the classifieds a few days ago without consulting my wife or family. Now we realize that we want to keep the car. I have 2 grandsons (and other family) that are looking forward to riding in it soon. Also, we would probably never find another T in as good a condition as the one we have. I can imagine looking at others for sale later and thinking/saying " This isn't near as good a car as the one we sold." I'm sorry I caused a couple of people to waste a phone call, but if ones sells a car and changes his mind it's too late, however if one keeps a car and changes his mind...
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:37 am:

You are lucky you caught that in time. I am still having sellers remorse after selling my '14 touring last fall. At least it went to a good home. GtE, you sure got a good one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 07:59 am:

Glad you caught it in time.

I've been looking at what's for sale on eBay, CL, etc and realize that I'd have a hard time replacing mine as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Whew! That was close!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:22 am:

Tommy, glad you decided to keep the car and stay with us ... :-) Now its time to get back to work on the hood that probably started this "moment of sellers remorse" :-) Let me know if your top panels are OK and you only need side panels or do you need a complete hood. you can e-mail me if you want to. dobro (at) artelco.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:39 am:

I have contemplated selling my T as well, as there are a few other cars that I want to own. But I bought and restored this with money that I inherited when my dad passed (he always wanted a T but never got one) and in a lot of ways I feel like I owe it to him to keep it, and that it was the last gift (well, material gift anyway) that he gave me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:02 am:

I sold my T two years ago after a health panic. a I bought the car back from the guy I sold it to, only for $2500 more in "appreciation" costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:32 am:

I did the same thing with my Saab. I even had a guy come over to take a look, and he loved the car so much he offered me more than I was asking for it. I had to call him that evening to tell him I couldn't sell it; offered to buy him dinner for his trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Seems like several folks told you just that when you got all pissed and announced you were gonna sell it. Glad you changed your mind before you did something you wished you ain't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I still have to deal with the driveshaft and rearend so I might change my mind again. Just kidding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

Tommy, I am SO glad you "woke up" in time!
We all have to deal with the driveshaft and rear end; when I take the body off Barney to replace the dry-rotted wood I will do that chore too. Debating on pulling the head to check/ change out the valves (if they are two-piece ones).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Don't look at the whole car as a project. It's too overwhelming like that. It's like eating an elephant. Break it down into bite sized pieces and do it one bite at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Do one thing at a time and keep it running in between so that you can get some enjoyment out of it to keep your energy level up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

I sold mine and then that guy sold it again. Popped up on Craigslist two years later. I found the ad one hour after the next owner posted it. I wrote and said "I want my car back". They thought it was a joke until I sent them a couple magazine articles about it (and me).

One or both of the new owners had left it outside... Got it back with the same gas in it (now rancid), my business card still stuck in the windshield where I put it, a 14awg wire running from the battery to the distributor through the cab, the brand new battery replaced with an older one, a nice dent in the fender, and destroyed paint.

I was told it sat unused because no one could figure out how to drive it. I had to jump it to get it running, and drove it into the garage with sellers jaw hanging down. In his defense it does have two "stick shifts" and four pedals...

I came out a few grand ahead but now I have to rebuild it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Tommy,

I have a 1926 Dodge Brothers Four Door DeLuxe Sedan that I bought for $300 in 1968. That was a LOT of money back then especially for someone just out of high school (now you can figure out my age!)

I finished restoring it in 1970. My kids are all in their 30s now and grew up with that car. I courted my wife of 40 years in that car. A few years ago, I wanted to sell it to upgrade and/or make more room.

When I told the family, man, you should have hear the uproar!!!

Of course, I still have it after all the fuss. It's probably a good thing I kept it.

You did the right thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

We have a 1940 Chevrolet two-door sedan that we bought in 1980. Both my kids, now 29 and 33 grew up riding in it. I mentioned selling it a few years ago and the stuff hit the fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

I have a 41 chev coupe. Same story. Son grew up in back seat and wife loves the darn thing. Had it 24 years. Guessits part of the family now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I went over to the dark side for a few years and had a v8 and automatic in our 40. A few years ago I saw the light, repented and went back to an old school inline six with a three sped column shift trans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Mine was yellow with 350 when we got it. Never looked back,just finished it and drove the wheels off it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Yep a 14 and 15 roadster T's and one 46 Willys jeep
All have good home right Jay in CA
BUT MISS THEM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

It's a good thing that I like my '14. My wife won't ever let me find out what seller's remorse feels like on that car. Last weekend, I was brainstorming ideas to free up cash to buy another Maxwell and the only thing that came out of her mouth was "Don't even mention selling the '14." At least she didn't poo poo the idea of buying another Maxwell. Heck, she didn't even mock my logic that out little Maxwell would look nice with its big brother sitting next to it. Now, all I need to do, is sell the dog, the kids, all my hunting gear and my Harley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Bought my 54 Mainline two-door when I was 16 in 1985.

Drove it through high school (put it in a barn while I was in the military), college and at my wedding in 1994....then put it back in the barn until I pulled it out and did a frame-off rebuild that lasted from 2010 until 2015.

Still have it....going to get it painted properly soon.

There were times when I was a poor school-teacher that I really could've used the money. I'm glad I held onto it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 12:16 am:

I have come to the conclusion that when you get to the point of throwing tools, and threatening to sell the car, its time to walk away from the project for a bit and regroup. Nine times out of ten you will have no idea why you felt that way the next time you go out to work on it. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration