Radiator leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Radiator leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:15 am:

[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/0224170746a_zpsdmklprkp.jpg.htm l][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/0224170746a_zpsdmklprkp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
My radiator in the '21 Touring is obviously a round-tube one, probably the original one . I have a leak in the drivers side lower area. I appears to be in a tube where the tube passes through the horizontal reinforcement for the mounts on each side. I am having trouble pin-pointing the leak as the water "runs" the horizontal fins. Any suggestions how to find the leak? Soap in the water and watch for bubbles? A little air pressure in the radiator ? A can of stop-leak and hope for the best? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:39 am:

I would try a little air pressure in the radiator. You'll just have to figure out how to "plug up" the overflow pipe so all your air doesn't go out there. I wouldn't put more than 5lbs. pressure on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Put a tube of Alumaseal in the water and watch the leak stop! I bought some a O'Reileys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Stop Leak WILL stop the leak but will also collect in the tubes and eventually will keep the radiator from cooling! A good friend ruined his brass radiator that way. I bought it and paid $250 to have it taken apart and remove all the "gunk" which had built up. Leaks should be fixed from the outside, not by temporary fixes from within. Unless, of course, you're in the market for a new radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:52 am:

A new radiator would be great but that's not gonna happen anytime soon. $$$$$$
I was thinking that if I could find out which tube is leaking I could repair it. I would try to do the repair from the backside of the radiator to avoid making an ugly repair on the front side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:52 am:

Tommy, digging into the back of the core can be avoided. Once the leak is identified, a radiator shop can block off that one tube. This will mean removing the bottom tank to seal that end. At the same time, the tubes can be flushed out. With the back panel off the header tank, the top of the same tube is blocked off. No more water in the leaky tube.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration