Rear Axle Holder Dimension

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Axle Holder Dimension
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Being lazy, although I did a search of past post. Looking for some general dimensions to make my own rear axle holder for rebuild. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:49 am:

There was a post, a year or 2 ago, where someone had repurposed a disc brake rotor into a rear axle holder by cutting a slot in it.
Don't have dimensions, but you get the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Ring gear is about right size for hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

I used a piece of 2 x 8, drilled a 3" hole. Kind of crude but it worked. I think a larger hole would have been better. The ring gear size as suggested by Dallas might be good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

I just used old plywood. But steel would have been better. Maybe on the next one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Type this into Google
Rear Axle Holder site:www.mtfca.com

The disk brake picture came up on the first 3 references.

Link if you are lazy

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/660711.html?1469032724

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Made from piece of 2x8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

I just made one today. Measurements for a differential rear axle holder. Using a 2 x 8 or a 2 x 12 mark a 2.5 inch space near the center of an end. Then mark two 6 inches from the end then a 3.5 inch circle with the diameter at the 6 inch mark. Using a circular saw cut 6 inches and to the edge of the circle from the end of the wood on both sides of the 2.5 inch space. Using a jig saw cut a 3.5 inch circle with the diameter drawn at the 6 inch mark. Nail firmly to a sawhorse or bench.

Wood rear axle holder measurements.

Wood rear axle differential housing holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Why go to so much trouble? I just place my rear axle assembly between two railroad ties, and put it together. What could be easier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Thanks, just what I was looking for

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

All from scraps on hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

I think a 2 piece like @Steve Jelf would be easier to make. But since I am mounting mine on a saw horse and not a table I obtained a scrap 2 x 12 from a local construction site and did a one-piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 11:05 am:

"I just place my rear axle assembly between two railroad ties, and put it together."

Better hurry up and get it finished before the train comes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

I use this wood vice holds a complete Ruckstell nice and tight. I clamp a crutch to the work bench to support the driveshaft when installing or setting up the diff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration