Floating hubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Floating hubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Does anyone know the weight limit of the Full Floaters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Tim
I've run them for years on everything from fast speedsters to full bodied cars. I make my own
Now I will make some qualifying comments;
1. As similar to the recent thread on ball bearing 4th mains, I always buy "name brand" ball bearings
2. Proper installation practice needs to be followed. In this application the outside should be a "light " press fit (.002-.003 tight). The inside should be a close slip fit (.001 loose)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

I looked up what I think is the main bearing in the floating hubs (If they are Stoltz made... 8-10 years ago and I can't remember now who I got them from) - it's got a static load of 5,220 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/FAG-6012-C3-Clearance-Rotational-Capacity/dp/B00631535M

So I am assuming that's 10,440 because it's spread out over two corners of the car.

I'm also assuming that my Fordor weighs 3,000 with me in it. My concern was adding another 1,000 lbs to the vehicle, but it looks like it's not an issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Tim
Please also consider that only about 1/2-2/3 of the weight will be on the rear axle. With FAG bearings it should be fine

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration