"26/'27 Engine paint question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "26/'27 Engine paint question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

So I've checked the encyclopedia answers and on the green painted vaporizer engine, it states that the intake manifold is same green color .Cutaway engine pics seem to bare that out. I'm using the non-vaporizer manifold . should I paint that green or black ?
What do you guys like. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I have never seen a satisfactory answer to this question. I go with black, but I'm pretty sure that this is incorrect. I have seen posts that say the color is something else, but it would also seem that nobody knows the exact formulation of the original color; therefore, any color that you paint the engine will be wrong. Pick one you like.
(Just my humble opinion.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I have never seen a satisfactory answer to this question. I go with black, but I'm pretty sure that this is incorrect. I have seen posts that say the color is something else, but it would also seem that nobody knows the exact formulation of the original color; therefore, any color that you paint the engine will be wrong. Pick one you like.
(Just my humble opinion.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

It's a real tossup on this one since it's the incorrect manifold set up. I have seen some pics here where it was painted green. Not bad looking. Now if it was Martynn Vowell, he'd paint it purple. HARHARHAR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 12:02 am:

It is really an issue of personal taste and what, to you looks most authentic and impressive. Here is the engine on my 1926 Coupe. The green is "Ford Green" from Snyder's, the black is a high temp gloss black engine enamel from one of the local auto supply places and the exhaust manifold is a very high temp paint from Eastwood. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 07:34 am:

You could probably assume it was painted low gloss black regardless of the engine paint color. Here a pic of the original engine in my '26 Tudor (early Dec '25 production). Outside of someone "fixing" the stripped exhaust nut, it was an original vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

I went with the green on the block and head, and stove black polish on the two manifolds to make them look consistant. Nice low sheen on the manifolds with the stove black, and it has lasted several months with no reapplication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

Since no such set-up came from the factory, there's no correct color. Your choice. I think the usual practice is for an NH to be black, so I'd paint the intake to match it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

All the vaporizer manifolds I've seen were green.
I don't know about the '26 intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Hot pink is as correct as the manifold you're using. Go with what makes you happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

All the vaporizer manifolds I've seen were green.
I don't know about the '26 intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

The moleskin greenish paint wasn't used until well into the 1927 model year, some time during the autumn of 1926. By then all cars had vaporizers. But if your car was made earlier, then everything about the engine was painted black. And during 1926 model year a lot of the cars got NH carbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester A Vander Pyl on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:08 am:

I have a number of Holly and Ford vaporizers and all seem to have traces of black paint' but none are NOS so I am not sure if the black paint is original. I have a number of Ford issue Kingston vaporizers one of which is NOS and it is painted a dull black all the other Kingston vaporizers show traces of black paint. I have quite a few 26-27 Ford supplied shock absorber sets , 4 of which are NOS and they are all painted shiny black. I have quiet a few 26-27 dash lights, none NOS, but about half of them are painted a shiny black the caps seem to be nickel plated and painted over on the outside so the inside remains shiny to help reflect the light, the other half of the dash lights are nickel plated. I have some NOS wind wing sets that are painted shiny black with nickel hardware. i have a bunch of Ford 26-27 wiper motors, none NOS but all have what seems to be original black paint on them. Has anybody come up with a paint code that gets close to the green engine paint that Ford used on the 26-27 T's? Some of the NOS parts I have I got over 60 years ago out of one of my Grandfather's factories Apco, the company that made many of the Model T accessories and tools, so I'm sure those parts are untouched NOS.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration