Reproduction Rear Spring Shackle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Reproduction Rear Spring Shackle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Hello everyone. After reading the recent thread about rear shackles failing, it made me concerned about the rear shackles I plan to install on my Centerdoor. I recently purchased the set below, which shows the knurling on the shaft at the buckle.

Is this the style that everyone considers unsafe to use?

Thank you,
Mike Hanson
Kingwood, Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Yes, that is the type that can "come from together" !

And, Chaffin's is the source for the only "correct" as in original style of shackle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Not exactly the same, but a similar pressed-together design. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/401615.html?1384559326

More: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/544506.html?1432652923

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Thanks.

These came from Chaffins, but were made by Bob's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Any other thoughts before these are tossed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:16 am:

If the problem is with the knurled joint working loose, couldn't you just weld that joint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I have some like that that are completely screwed. All the ends have come loose where the knurled part is pressed in. A bad design, not safe in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Why would anyone consider such a shackle? There are good used genuine Ford parts at swap meets, and on ebay. NOS shackles show up from time to time too. For the sake of originality, why not be patient, and do it correctly. You failed to mention the year of you centerdoor, but I believe they changed the design of those shackles at least twice during the period centerdoors were being made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:00 am:

I would rather use Chaffins figure 8 shackles than those. The figure 8's may not be correct, but at least they will be safe.

That said, it is not difficult to rebuild originals if you have a welder and a lathe. A while back Steve Jelf and I both posted our methods to do this.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:32 am:

I haven't had any experience with that style of shackle (FORTUNATELY!!!!), but stuff like this just sticks in my craw. Why is it so hard to make a part that works, it doesn't even have to be correct, just make it so that it works! Of course the correct parts would be better, but at least make the replacement parts functional! I don't get it. Some vendors have even been made aware of problems, but they don't seem to work with their suppliers to fix things that are wrong. That being said, NOT all vendors fall into this category. Kudos to those that do try to find solutions to the problems. I am in the camp that tries to make them aware of a problem, not as a complaint, but as a heads up. To my way of thinking, if they do realize that there is a problem, and it doesn't get fixed, that's on them. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

What`s so bad about this type of shackles. I understand is not like the originals, but to me they looks safe. The OD of the bolt head is larger than the hole and can't come loose. The knurling is just to hold the bolt and preventing it from tuning. Maybe I am missing something ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Rolf,
It's just a press fit, there are forces on the shackles with tend to twist them, and the press fit doesn't have enough strength to resist them. If the bolt were welded to the plate, full penetration weld all around, then it would be fine. Some shackles were made that way, back 'in the day.'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Rolf, look at Steve Jelf's post on Feb. 24 at 10:55. Pretty well sums it up. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

OK. I see that. Not good. Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration