Started my 27 T after 28 years ... Three turns and it fired up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Started my 27 T after 28 years ... Three turns and it fired up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

So it stared right up but I can't seem to get a free neutral .. so it drove out of the garage on its own..... any ideas how to get a free neutral .... thanks for any help .. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 02:36 am:

What do you mean by free neutral? If it means finding neutral so you can push the car, there is an emergency brake lever position between full brake (with lever pulled all the way back putting the car in neutral with brake drums engaged) and high gear (with lever all the way forward). The exact position that leaves the car in neutral, but releases the brakes is a few clicks forward of the lever being pulled all the way back. You will need to experiment to find it, but it is there. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:26 am:

If you can get it in low, then you should be able to find neutral as Jim explained. I fired one up after setting a while (not 28 years). I jacked up both rear wheels, fired it up. Then put lever in neutral position. with engine about 1/4 open, stomp on brake. Let off before engine dies. Keep doing this, the clutches should break loose end you can eventually stop the wheels with the brake & engine will keep running. You probably know they really don't have a "real" neutral, but there is a spot where you can run the engine (I don't like to run it long) with the park brake or service brake holding the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 08:39 am:

There is not literally a neutral in the Model T transmission. For the engine to spin freely the clutch is disengaged and the low and reverse bands are not applied.

The main things that need to be properly adjusted to get a "free" neutral:

1. Make sure the low and reverse bands are not adjusted too tight. The pedals must move nearly their entire available travel before the band clamps on the drum. The reverse pedal is adjusted so that this happens just enough that the pedal does not "stick" when stomped hard with your foot. The low pedal needs to be engaged about 1 1/2" above the floor boards.

2. Make sure the oil is the proper weight. If you are using SAE 30 in the winter time the clutch will not disengage freely until the engine is quite warm. A good oil for typical cool and summer use is 5W-30.

3. Make sure the clutch disengages all the way. Often the clutch linkage is so worn that it can't be adjusted properly. I have had to make a longer L - link to compensate for worn out holes in the linkage and pedal.

Instructions:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:30 am:

If you had no problems the last time you drove the car, why now assume you have linkage problems ????? Drain the old oil, give it time overnight or a few days, replace drain capscrew & add fresh lightweight oil with a little kerosene & run the engine with the rear axel on stands.....pull back on the lever to let the clutch plates slide as they should to get a neutral. Drain, & fill with your choice of oil.... happy motoring !!

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 11:54 am:

What Royce said. Follow his instructions and you will see much improvement. The T doesn't have a real neutral, just kind of a state of impatience waiting for action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

This is great information....thanks for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Thanks Royce and all who gave me great valuable information. I appreciate the help you all gave. ...Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration