Rear axle inner seals, again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle inner seals, again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 08:20 am:

I'm preparing for the teardown and checking the rearend under my'21. I've read the removing a T from moth balls article and other articles. I hope to find thrust washer that are not babbit. I can see the passenger side so I know it's ok. I hope to find the good inner seals and Hyatt bearings. One question ... without removing the sleeves,can I install the inner seals from the inside if the housings are " empty"?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 08:31 am:

More important than the Babbitt thrust washers, you need to make sure the pinion bearing is not completely shot and that you have a good universal joint and drive shaft bushing and drive shaft. Your inner axle bearings are also likely shot, as will be your outer axle bearings. Any of these things being bad can lead to disaster, injury, great expense, and death. If you find anything usable inside the axle housings or the drive shaft tube or pinion bearing housing it will be something akin to a miracle.

The seals can be installed but you are making a grave mistake not going through the whole axle assembly for safety's sake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 08:32 am:

No, the sleeves will be in the way. Get the sleeve tool from the vendors, it makes removing the sleeves easy.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2509SP.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcmsir6bPU

When you re-install the sleeve (or install a new sleeve), be sure to check that the sleeve can go all the way in so that the end of the sleeve if flush with the end of the axle tube. If the sleeve sticks out because of the extra thickness of the seal, pull the sleeve back out and grind off the extra length, then deburr and re-install the sleeve.

Here's another helpful video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Tommy, when you have the rear end torn down enough to verify the brass thrust washers, you will be at the point of being able to do a complete inspection and cleaning. You will be extreamly lucky if all you need to do is clean it up and put it back together. Just take your time and it will be a fun project. It sure gives "peace of mind" knowing "all is well" in the rear end when driving down the road. have fun and be safe. Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:29 am:

If the pinion bearing and sleeve aren't good, I'd replace them with the Fun Projects bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Tommy while you have the rear end out of the car It would be a good idea to tare it down in my opinion.
The Fun Projects bearing set up is the best way to go in my opinion if you have to replace the old pinion bearing setup. And if it is worn considerably the pinion gear probably is too. One thing leads to another. Take your time and you will be glad you did after its all said and done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

The rearend under my car has been "restored" before I got the car. I can see the passenger side thrust washer and it is bronze or brass, not babbit. Everything else , that I can see, is clean and dry. I hope it is ready for the road but I don't know beyond what I can see through the driveshaft hole.The outside is already painted up nice. Hopefully it looks as good on the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Stauffer on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

I lost a pinion bearing in my touring car the day after the Ohio Jamboree. I too thought that the entire rear axle had been dealt with. Don't overlook the pinion bearing - believe me, bad things happen when it fails. The Fun Projects pinion bearing and new driveshaft are very good investments! As far as I'm concerned, if John Regan (Fun Projects) makes something, it is good and well worth the money. Bruce Stauffer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

I'll invoke the Gipper ("Trust, but verify.") and the old newspaperman's adage, ("If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out.")

Restored means different things to different people. Maybe everything in there us up to specs, but it would be smart to use axle the book and check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

The axle in my '18 had been apart, cleaned up and worked on too, 30 years ago. The bearings were replaced too. Never to be driven until last fall.
I drove it about 6 miles.
Pulled it out and apart about a week and a half ago.
Almost ALL internal parts are garbage.
Would you do me a favor Thom? Pull it apart.
Oops! I re-read and you are taking it apart to verify. Whew.

(Message edited by Duey_C on February 25, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration