Kingston 6 ball carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Kingston 6 ball carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:34 am:

A couple months ago I was able to buy an NOS Kingston six ball carburetor that was originally made for a different non - Ford application. I also bought a used Model T six ball that someone had cut the choke housing off.

I took the correct Ford upper part from the used carburetor and combined it with the choke, bowl and ball lower assembly to make a correct Model T six ball that now has everything NOS except the throttle and throttle housing.

It runs very well. I drove it around for a few miles yesterday afternoon. This is with the original Jacobson Brandow coils too.

https://youtu.be/OL9hSlqwRWE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Royce, what is the little flapper valve thing on top of the float bowl? A "tickler" to push the float down for priming?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Mark,

Yes, the earliest Model T carbs had just a tickler and no choke. As time went on they had both. By 1912 all of them had just a choke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Hello Royce:
Will your tickler mechanism be operated with a linkage, possibly a pull rod like a choke uses?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Scott,

It's not something that I am planning to use. It never had any linkage the way Ford installed them in the Model T. It is perhaps best described as an evolutionary dead end, a vestige of past history.

The NRS Fords had the ticklers on its various carburetors, again no linkage was supplied by Ford. There is no choke on the NRS carburetors. To start an NRS you open the hood door, push the tickler for a second, then prime the engine three or four pulls of the crank with the ignition off. Turning the ignition on normally resulted in a start with no further activity involving the crank handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Here's another for you Royce.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kingston-Brass-Carburetor-163458-Early-Model-T-/ 222419358492?hash=item33c93a131c:g:nlQAAOSwCU1Yrwfh&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Looks like a good one. I think I have enough of them for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Where have the open valves gone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 01:43 am:

Good catch Warwick, I assume that you saw in the video that the engine now has enclosed valve covers. The spare '15 engine is in the 1910 touring while I go through the transmission and change the camshaft in the original engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 02:46 am:

Nice carby; though the front pointing throat means it's good only for the clean sealed roads you find in the USA, Western Europe and Australia. The air filters the suppliers sell I doubt would fit without modification.

Which cars originally were fitted with these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Constantine,

Ford always had a primary supplier and a secondary supplier for carburetors. The Kingston 6 ball was a secondary carburetor in late 1911 - 1912 model year. It is a pretty rare carburetor, Ford used primarily the Kingston 5 ball and the Holley 4500 early in 1911, moving to the Kingston 6 Ball and the Holley H1 later in that 1911 - 1912 period. The Holley designs started the trend of air intakes that pointed to the rear of the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration