Motor mounts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Motor mounts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Is there a safe way to "shock-mount" the T motor to help reduce the vibrations transferred through the original solid mounting design? I realize that the motion of the vehicle is transmitted through the mounts, so I'm concerned with any sort of rubber or spring affair failing, and creating more problems. Any ideas?? Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 11:49 am:

I have seen it attempted many times, never successfully. It compromises Ford's engineering that has passed the test of time. Vibration is part of driving a model T. It's how she tells you she's still alive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Like Erik says, best way is the way Ford did it originally. Adding rubber or springs results in broken pan arms and not any effect on vibration.

I wonder, have you ever driven a good running Model T Bruce? I don't notice vibration as being any sort of problem that needs to be addressed. The only Model T's that have what I think of as annoying vibration are the ones that still have cast iron pistons. I don't use cast iron pistons, this is the main reason why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

The rear motor attachment is also a very necessary frame cross-member amidships. Let Model Ts be model Ts, don't try to make 'em into something else. If you don't like what they are, drive something that pleases you more. :- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Only time I broken a pan ear was when I used the method in tinkering tips.
It said use the long pan bolt and a radiator mounting spring with a rubber pad.
Yes it was smoother but got me towed home
Never had an issue doing it factory way
Good vibrations

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Hmm, "She's givin' me good vibrations, excitations"
So THAAT'S what that song was about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Thanks Guys. My T Coupe runs fine, and I guess I was looking for something more to tinker with. The biggest fault caused by vibrations are the two outside mirrors that become a blur at cruising speed. The stock inside mirror stays much more rigid and functional. Thanks again : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

I got some outside mirror heads from one of the vendors that are filled with lead shot. They reduce mirror shake considerably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Bruce, mine is the opposite. The inside one is a blur and the door mounted ones are fine. I guess that shows how individual each one is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Hmm, I may try adding weight to my outside mirror to reduce its shake - thanks Royce! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

How much can I add before I have to change the rear end ratio (LOL)??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Bruce, those mirrors that they sell with the sort of flat bracket about 2" wide really vibrate. I had one that was barely usable at idle, and totally useless at speed, just a blur. I replaced it with a period mirror I found at a swap meet that has a more solid mount. Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Put in a scat crank, the car runs much smoother now and I added a mirror on the right, all mirrors are very steady

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration