Help -- Unknown Mfg Broken Transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help -- Unknown Mfg Broken Transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herbert A. Palmer on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

I just purchased this 1925 Model TT Fire Truck that needs drive line work. It has an aux transmission that is cylindrical (tube shaped) with a shift lever sticking out the top. The shift fork stud that attaches to the shift lever is broken. The transmission has not casting marks. Does anyone know the Mfg or have drawings or any info?
transmission transmission from bottomtransmission outtransmission opened up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

It certainly is cute!! I assume direct plus overdrive?
Possibly a one off using Borg Warner overdrive parts? I really like it anyway. Sorry I can't be of more help
If you have the parts of the shift lever, then I suggest just remake it Shouldn't be that tough of a machining job

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herbert A. Palmer on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

The part that attaches to the fork is just to the right( or in front of) in the last photo. Someone else tried to weld it but did a poor job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Herb, I would recommend that you take it to a good machine shop for repair. Get the right shop and I am sure they would figure the best way to repair it. There are some good ones in Saginaw such Ranger or Micron. Good luck Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Don't know for sure but it looks like its newer than something that was made in the Model T era.
MHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Herbert,

I saw that truck last year some time. Very interesting vehicle. Nicely made. I couldn't figure out who made the transmission either but would have loved having it. Too many projects however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Neat looking unit. I really like the two piece ball cap.
Silly question maybe.
What does the brass tag say back by the grease cup, just in front of the radius rod mount?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

If it was mine I would make a totally new shifter fork from a solid piece of probably 4140 steel and then possibly get it intruded for hardening. NO welding!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:38 am:

Herb, Joseph is right. Take it to a good welding or machine shop where they know what they are doing. Shouldn't be all that hard to fix. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:40 am:

Les, you have me intrigued. I know of nitriding parts for hardness/toughness, but not intruding. Is that a typo or is my education less than complete?
I respect your abilities with all the work you do. Is this something I am missing?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:59 am:

Les has a good idea too, shouldn't be all that hard to make one. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Allan
A typo!!! Sigh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herbert A. Palmer on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Duey C
The brass cast tag reads "IX 1220"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration