Top saddle support arms

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Top saddle support arms
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Do the top saddle support arms on my 23 touring
just unscrew? Do they just go into wood or is there a captured nut? I don't have the seat upholstery out and I think they look wrong. Look
like just a square head bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

They do unscrew. From factory your car had the saddle supports unscrewed and rubber plugs in the holes in the body. The supports were supposed to be inserted when lowering the top. Many cars never got their tops lowered back then..
The supports screws into a nut welded to a bracket inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:23 am:

They do just screw in. The part is the same as the fender iron, but shorter. There is a captured nut that is riveted to a sheet metal strap in there as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Are they just a straight 1/2 threaded iron, or as in my case it looks like a square headed bolt?
They did come out like you said. Thanks, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

There would be no head on the rod. Lang's part number 3858B. You would use a small pipe wrench, pliers, vice grips or such to turn them in/out at about the spot where the saddle would go on so any marks would be hidden.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

If you install the saddle on the arm, you can use it as a handle for screwing in the rod with your hand instead of using a vice grips or other tool.

Once the rod is in, then you can loosen the set screw on the saddle and adjust it accordingly so it is in the correct position.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration