Info wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Info wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Davis on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

am rebuilding a 21 engine, inside the block between #1 and#2 on a raised boss about1& 1/2 inches long and in raised letters it says "special" but l see nothing out of the ordinary about it ,thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Is this a Ford script block?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Davis on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

yes it is ford script

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Apparently it is a Ford Special script block !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Pictures ! Pictures ! I wanna see, I wanna see !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Badda bing! Aeee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:34 am:

Measure the bore. A few blocks were made for foreign sale that had a slightly smaller bore for the foreign horsepower tax reasons. A few smaller bore blocks were also made for racing purposes in this country in order to qualify with displacement limits for certain classes of racing. As I recall, the very famous Warner Bullock (sp?) Specials Indianapolis 500 cars required special blocks because the stock model T displacement was slightly higher than the racing committee wanted by that time. The era of the monster engines in the 500 ended about WWI.
I have heard tell of a few such blocks years ago, but never seen one myself!
I also know that special blocks were made for OHV heads for Ts. But I do not think that they were made by Ford. I have seen pictures of some of those. Some with NO valve ports, just holes for push rods to work through. Better sealing around the cylinder to the head. Some had extra timing gears, built in oil lines, and of course the five main bearing blocks.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:49 am:

Interesting!!! As said, pictures! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Davis on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:57 am:

SORRY!!!!!!! l checked and it is NOT a script block. how l could have worked on it this long and not notice baffles me . it does however have the typical circular casting date in the usual location

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Davis on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:16 am:

now l really feel like a fool l waded thru the snow to the shop and it IS script!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Steve still send photos. When ford script was mentioned, the later blocks don't say ford(in script) on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Davis on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

on the side of the block to the left of the serial # in raised #s is 6---12, the serial # is 4987499, cast 5-2-21. to clarify my confusion l run a large farm and drive school bus. there are 12 buildings here all of which contain t parts which include 40 to 50 engines. it is hard to remember what you saw andon which engine .sorry for the confusion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Steve, No worries. We have worked with the elderly before............personally! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

The serial number says the engine was assembled on Tuesday, May 24, 1921, about three weeks after the casting date. There's a superstition that blocks were allowed to sit and "cure" between casting and assembly, but plenty have a serial number a day or two after the casting date. I think the length of time was a matter of chance and where the engine was assembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Steve D, not to worry about the script/no script confusion. Happens to the best of us from time to time. Especially if you have that many different engines to remember about. Still curious about what you do have there!

For what it is worth. The thread linked below is currently running about a non-Ford block listed on eBad at this time. Just another example of the many, many, odd things out there for Ts from the T era.
I remember seeing a similar (maybe IPCO?) block at a swap meet many years ago. If I had money, I would want this block, and an appropriate OHV head to go on it. Just for the kicks and giggles of something unique.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/730721.html?1488248801

Great stuff!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration