Painting flexible speedometer cable

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Painting flexible speedometer cable
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:35 am:

Can anyone recommend a good, flexible gloss black paint to paint my 490 Stewart speedometer cable with? I painted it with Gloss black Rustoleum aerosol enamel several years ago, but it is chipping off due to the fact the Rustoleum is not flexible. Do you think Gloss Black Imron Epoxy would work? It is the cable just to the left of the fuel line and in front of the air filter. I have removed it and taken off all the black enamel in preparation for painting. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 01:12 am:

I used Gun blueing on one once.I confess it has not seen high usage due to my health,but it is holding up fairly well. Problem is it is sky high expensive now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 02:54 am:

Why not enclose it in flexible wire conduit, black, slips over easily, cut to length. I doubt anyone would notice and it would never chip. Any auto parts place carries it in multiple sizes. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:12 am:

I did what Jack did........I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:14 am:

I did what Jack did....I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:12 am:

A little more in tune with the times of the vehicle, vs. what Gary posted would be to use asphalt cloth loom. Can be found on Tbay or restoration places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Jim,

I'm not sure any paint is going to hold up. (You'd either need some way for the 'slinky' seams to stay open? Or, you'd need an Alkyd based paint and primer that would have that flex you mention.)

Jack raises a good point. You could have it 'Parkerized' (black phosphate)and what that does is create a black rust (not red) and then seals.

You could check with a nearby gunsmith (or re-enacter to find one) and see if they have a real 'Parkerizing' tank set up to do complete barrels. The beauty of working on a T is that time is usually on your side...and that translates more often than not into discount. :-)

Like the powder coaters...tell them to do it when they have open time and the process all fired up can equal a 50% discount; the local chrome platers where you give him freedom on thickness and time usually gets you on the order of a 50% discount also; find that gunsmith with a tank process, take him the cleaned housing in a sealed baggie...and ask him about tossing it in his tanks when he is running something else. Always worth a try :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:48 am:

I tie a piece of bailing wire around the end, and paint it with a spray can of gloss black Rustoleum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Larry has nailed it. Keep it simple. I use a rattle can of good quality black enamel.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 03:48 am:

I have no experience with this, but isn't there a flexible paint made for the "rubber" bumpers from the '70s? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 06:25 am:

Any finish on the cable housing- polished or plated needs to be removed or scuffed/sanded completely for a paint type coating to adhere. The flex paint is actually an additive to regular automotive paint to give a little flexibility, and it had it's limits. If you sand the metal housing absolutely, no gaps and then spray bomb you should have decent results. You could use an etching primer, but mild steel is what it is made for. The ribbed plastic loom cover looks almost like the original cable housing, cheap and won't chip. Unless you have a 100 point car that would be my choice for a driver. Gary

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration