Spindle Bolts Installed - lubrication?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Spindle Bolts Installed - lubrication?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:10 am:

I reinstalled the spindle bolts on the front end yesterday. It occurred to me last night that it may have been a good idea to lubricate the bolts with grease. I don't see anything in the Service Manual that specifically addresses whether lubrication should be added at the time of install.

I intend to insert the flip top Oilers and regulatory use oil in them. Is using oil post installation sufficient, or should grease be used during the installation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:18 am:

I assemble them with red Mobil #28 grease. Then oil every so often, particularly right after fording a creek or driving in heavy rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:18 am:

I would just oil them. If you put grease in there
the grease would stop the oil from running down
the pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Oil is fine, some use bar oil for chainsaw bars as it is a little thicker. The new bolts have oil holes in them that would be easily clogged by grease. So just use oil or bar oil, and lubricate regularly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:40 am:

I have used the 600W also used in the rear with big succes. It's thick enough to stay put. Chainsaw oil is also a good idea I think. It have some long chains of oil molecules that stick to the chain and will do the same I think to the spindle bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:58 am:

If you're concerned about oil reaching all the dry spots, start oiling them with a lighter oil (say, motor oil), then switch to 600W or chain saw bar oil later once the light oil has wicked through everything. Also, jack up the front end and swing the steering from side to side every so often to help spread the initial light oil. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Read what Doug mentioned above, duh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Whats duh, he asked about grease, I don't think grease was intended to go in there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

I fill the oil cups every time I take Carl for a drive, whatever motor oil I have laying around is my choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Whats duh, he asked about grease, I don't think grease was intended to go in there. If it had grease fittings and you could pump grease in them that would work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

I took Larry's remark as agreeing with you Doug, that it is common sense not to use grease where oil should flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Grease in the threads at the bottom would be beneficial but oil in the top is ritual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Don't use grease. It will only travel the path of least resistance, possibly leaving some areas "unlubed". Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Thanks everyone. I put a dab of grease on the threads to get things to spins easily through the threaded end.

I will stick to only using oil through the flip top oilers and not fret about the lack of grease on the bolts. (BTW: I wasn't considering putting grease through the oilers; just wasn't sure if I should have lubed the bolts with grease when I installed them).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

If you choose to use grease for installation, use it sparingly. Oil doesn't run past grease easily, therefore I think probably oil would be your best bet.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration