Horn bulb mount 1911

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Horn bulb mount 1911
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:28 am:

could someone post a picture of a period mount for the horn bulb. the repro ones just don't get it for me. there has to be a better way.

thanks and cheers

stu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:56 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/729914.html?1488093660

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Stu-

Are you talking about the placement for the bracket at the bulb end, or the placement of the horn mount, or the actual original bulb mount bracket compared to the re-pro?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Here's another one on the LBJ car. The reproductions are just not as good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

keith and royce

i am talking about the actual bulb mounting bracket and while were at it the placement as you mentioned.
thank you royce for the pics. now i have an idea of what to look. the placement seems to be all over the map. not sure what is correct, if anything.

many thanks
cheers
stu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Royce-
Both of those are 1910, not 1911 mounts.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Here's one of the best photos that I have showing a 1911 horn bulb mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Here's the bracket on my 1911 touring, not sure if it's original or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

The repro bracket you need is sold by vendors, but is not only especially fragile, is has the potential to inflict costly finish damages to your vehicle. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much in being able to actually use the horn, but IMO this part is not made sufficient to support reasonable regular use. After 2 of these fell apart, I soldered the fitting at the hose end, and sent a machine screw through the bracket that fastens to the body. Not as pretty, but much better than a dent and paint chip, when this falls apart and slams into your costly finish.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

Phil's bracket looks much more substantial that the current reproduction and less likely to inflict injury upon failure...

On my reproduction, I unsoldered it, then carefully braised it together.

Also, when I was putting mine together, I mounted some T-nuts in the wood before I did the upholstery. So Mine is held on with bolts machine screws instead of wood screws, but don't tell anybody.

Here are some other original pics showing mounting placement. Some are vertical, some angles with the bulb forward. It looks like the choice is yours. Are there any original holes or is it new sheet metal??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Hopkins Victoria BC Canada on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Could someone please post a picture of the horn mount for an 11 Torpedo? The bracket on mine tilts the bulb forward which interferes with the door opening.
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Philip's bracket is the one everyone wants. It is from the period, and sturdy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Hopkins Victoria BC Canada on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

phill

could you furnish some basic dimensions of your bracket? i'd like to try to make a simulation of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Here is an original 1911-1912 horn bracket with correct reproduction bulb attached.

I will give dimensions and compare it with the current reproduction soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Here is an original 1911-1912 horn bracket with correct reproduction bulb attached.

I will give dimensions and compare it with the current reproduction soon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration