Magnet clamp question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Magnet clamp question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

I am getting ready to order some magneto magnet parts from Langs and have a question. I was told the brass screws from Langs were preferred. I am going to order a new starter ring gear and in their catalog they have a special brass screw that they make for mounting that ring gear. Ok .. I get a set of them.

Question 1. Now, I am planning to use the original magnet clamp plates as I have a lot of them and should be able to assemble a good set for what I need. Are the countersunk holes on the original clamps ok with these new brass screws? Or do I have to order new clamp plates?

Question 2. Now as far as spools. Do people use the old ones or is it prudent to by a new set?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Q1, use original clamp plates as the replacement ones aren't worth a 2 cents.

Q2, If brass spools, I reuse them but fit new ones if aluminium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Be sure that the clamp screws you buy have the same threads as the ring gear. Original ring gears and screws are a different thread than the current reproductions.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/449293.html?1401659988

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Mark ... yup, I mentioned that Lang's makes the screws that are matched to fit the new ring gear. Frank, this has aluminum spools .... and thanks, I'll use the best of my old clamp plates ... though my question was actually if the old clamp plates will work with the brass flat head screws that Lang's makes for the ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Answer to that is yes Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

If yours has the original aluminum spools...replace them. They get old and are very prone to cracking, breakage and crumbling during setup.
The brass screws work with new or old plates. The bevel on the head is standard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Not to hijack your thread, but do the brass screws on starter cars only screw to the ring gear? I've got a 21 but I guess it has an older transmission because there was no ring gear and the screws just screwed into the flywheel like my 14. Looks like they couldn't screw into both because they wouldn't draw the ring gear tight if they threaded into the flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

The new and softer brass screws will easily cave in the repro softer steel magnet plates.

New screws are a must have, but look for original plates, even a few pits will not affect their performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:46 am:

They only screw into the ring gear. There would be no way to line up the threads if both were threaded.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration