Wobbly wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wobbly wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Getting my 24 touring back together after paint.
It's on stands and I am reinstalling the demount
21 inch tires give the left front a spin and it wobbles bad. I have never driven this car on the road and they are slow but this looks bad. Any suggestions. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

I would make sure they are solid if your going to be out on the road. I have them too but I want them to be right and straight. Can't imagine one breaking going down the road. Are the spokes tight?Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Put the wobbly one on the rear so it wont affect your steering until you can correct it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

You want straight wheels on the front as you will really regret crooked wheels at 5-10 mph!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

I presume that you mean that the actual wheel is crooked or the rim is bent. Several things can be meant by wobbly. One is a wheel shimmy which occurs while driving the car, the wheels shake back and forth and the steering wheel is pulled out of your hand or at least feels like it will. That one is usually caused by loose parts anywhere from the actual gear box through the spindle bolts (kingpins).

Another wobble can be caused by loose wheel bearings.

A third wobble can be caused by the wood spokes loose at the felloe and or hub.

Loose spokes can cause the outer rim to be crooked and can sometimes be fixed by shimming them at the hub. This is done by gluing a piece of oak venier onto the flat place between two spokes, not the side where the bolt goes through. That will force the spokes to go farther out toward the felloes. Then around the hub you drive in shims made of tongue depressors evenly around the hub. This fix is temporary and will eventually need to be re spoked.

The other cause could be an actually bent felloe. I have never had to straighten the felloe, so will not comment on best way to do it. Another possible cause would be the bolts are tightened unevenly around the rim. You can remove those bolts and the rim and spin the wheel to see if the felloe is still crooked. Then when you re-install the rim, tighten across from one side to the other a little bit until it is tight all the way around. Spin the wheel as you do this tightening to try to keep things straight. For small deviations a washer placed between the lug and the felloe in one place can sometimes straighten things out.

While you are at it, you should examine all the spokes for splits or rot and replace the entire set with new ones which can be bought from the vendors. Be sure to use hickory not oak. Hickory is much stronger.

There are other posts which give instructions on how to press the spokes into place on the wheel.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Philip,

How bad is bad? Can you give us dimension? It's not uncommon for T wheels to be a bit wobbly. By modern standards, a T wheel wobble may look like a lot. However, anything under 3/8" is probably fine as long as the tires, spokes & rims are all in good condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:11 am:

i only have one that is beyond reasonable tweaking
and a shim it is out about 3\8 i think most of it is in the rim. the rim is out of round also i have a spare i will see if it will work.thanks philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Wouldn't it would be wonderful if our wheels had no run-out at all?
But we live in the real world where the only perfection ever recorded was Julie Newmar as Catwoman.

But I digress.
(Always wanted to say that)

My 30-inch wheels used to wobble out at about 3/8th of an inch and it would be more noticeable when the left and right wheels synchronized to create a shilly-shally feeling in the cockpit. _I addressed the problem with a little pushing, pulling and shoving, combined with the strategic tightening of some bolts, and got the run-out down to about 5/16ths of an inch. That seems to work out okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

I get it now!!! I thought "run out" was when the wife tries to run out the passenger door when it starts to wobble a bit. Every once in a while if the moon and stars line up and road conditions are just right with my speed it will get that death shake as she calls it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Bob C. - Hmmm,....I've experienced all kinds of "feelings", like willy-nilly, hokey-pokey, neeny-nonny, creepy-freaky, sticky-icky, and many others,....but NEVER "shilly-shally"! I'm thinking it might be a nice thing to try, at least once! (:^)

Phillip - Seriously,....you said "demountable". Sometimes, it's just the way the rim is mounted on the wheel. Take the rim off and try it mounted in a different position or two. Or, even exchange it's position on the car with another wheel. It might just "wobble" at a much less and very acceptable amount of wobble, and if so, just leave it where it works the best. Like Norm and Jerry said, none of 'em are perfect,.....FWIW,......harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration