FJ - Misfortunate Mishap Leads To 1925 Model T Survivor Discovery & Happy Ending - :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Misfortunate Mishap Leads To 1925 Model T Survivor Discovery & Happy Ending - :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

A week ago Saturday ....

I picked up a 1961 Porsche 356 Survivor in Florida .....

Owned by one family since new - a valuable car ....

Look behind the car at the top of my trailer ....

The Porsche was in a building at the rear of the property - the Seller was adamant I drive back to load - I told him I could not make the turn from the narrow country road into his driveway ....

I was to blame - I could not make the turn - I backed into a tree while trying to reverse out of his driveway back on to the narrow country road ....

This was the first time I had backed into anything.

I knew better - I acted foolishly & my trailer paid the price.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

I continued on to my drop off in Augusta, GA ....

I stopped by the trailer manufacturer along the way to have them look at the damage so I could schedule repairs.

I dropped the Porsche off on Monday ....

Not having a load out of Georgia & time on my hands,
I started looking thru Craigslist for Model T's for sale in the surrounding area ....

I saw a few that caught my eye & posted four threads in the MTFCA Classifieds with links ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

One ad in particular looked promising to me ....

It caught the eye of John May as well.

I had picked up a Model T he sold in Conroe, TX last year.

John bought the Model T and asked me to haul it.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Now - here is where things get interesting - for me ....

I called ahead & spoke with the Seller.

He also lived on a narrow country road and he also had a narrow driveway back to his barn where he had the Model T.

I explained to him what I had just been thru & told him I probably would not go down his narrow driveway.

We agreed to meet about a mile away at a rental yard.

John came down with the Model T on his trailer.

We started talking - John looked at my trailer and said ....

" I can fix that " .....

To make a long story short - a few hours later my trailer was repaired - the Model T was loaded up - I was on my way ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

From my perspective - this particular transport is significant.

To find a Model T driven for only 21 years - put away in a shed for 70 years - only to emerge in such remarkable original condition is unbelievable.

Then fortunately someone like the Seller John came along - he got it running ....

To find it advertised on craigslist is remarkable.

Seller John is from the South - spent over 20 years in Alaska - drilling wells.

He moved to Dalton, GA because that is where his wife's family is from.

A remarkable man rescues a remarkable Model T and repairs my trailer to boot !

I have named this Model T " Dandy Dalton " for the time it is in my care ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

What a great story and a awesome car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

COOL! Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Great read!

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Hi Jim,

It is indeed gratifying to read that good things CAN happen to good people; brings a smile to my face. Take care my friend. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 01:54 am:

I am hearing that "spooky" noise from bad 50's sci-fi flicks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Great story, great Tudor and indeed a rare 356 notchback

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 07:38 am:

Thanks for posting .... :-)

Freighter Jim
Living The Dream

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Glad to hear it all worked out Jim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 09:25 am:

How did he fix the trailer? A tow strap and come-along?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Cut the limb off and beat it from the inside with limb???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Is this the same trailer that had the hitch fail?
or was that a previous trailer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:23 am:

John went down to Home Depot and bought an 8" x 8" x 10' post.

Then he cut it the approximate length between the ground & the inside top of my trailer with a chainsaw.

We positioned the trailer in his grass yard, he braced the bottom of the post on the outside stout bottom cross member of my rear trailer frame and the top of the post on the inside top of the trailer - centering it on the bend.

Then he maneuvered his tractor with a front end load into position and attached a sling to his bucket to the post about a foot below the top of the trailer.

Then he gently pulled in one continuous motion and straightened out the top cross section of frame !

Then John checked all the welds and re-welded where necessary .

All of this work and he only wanted to charge me $100 which included the price of the post that he went and got !

Needless to say I paid him more ..... :-)

Fortuitous Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Bill,

My original design for this custom enclosed car hauler trailer was built on a 6 inch tube frame which the manufacturer specified for the trailer.

It proved to be inadequate - that resulted in the tongue bending at the front of the trailer.

A brand-new replacement trailer on an 8 inch steel tube frame was built for me at no cost.

That is why I buy all of my custom built car hauler trailers from the same source.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

" Dandy Dalton " now resides with John ......

There are videos & images of the drop off that can be viewed on my Facebook - Instagram - Twitter accounts.

Thank you Miss Marilyn for a nice lunch !

Thank you John !

Fortunate Freighter Jim

(Message edited by enclosed_ford_transport on February 28, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration