Who Sells the Best Starters?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Who Sells the Best Starters?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

After discovering i have one of the flimsy Delco remakes that tend to fail and wreak havoc, i need a replacement. Are all of our favorite vendors selling from one source or a variety, and which do you prefer?..I'm getting pretty tired of pulling new parts off my T.

(Message edited by JP_noonan on February 26, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 12:12 am:

Ron Patterson, the coil man. 10 years going strong is my personal experience with his basically new/rebuilt starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 12:19 am:

I'll second John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 12:42 am:

I'll third John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 01:08 am:

I assume his starters are like his coils, good as new (or better).

Ron Patterson
407 Stonegate Drive
Nicholasville
KY 40356

(859) 881-1677

modeltcoils@windstream.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 05:41 am:

I'll agree as well, Ron's rebuilds are done as they should be, expensive, but you get what you pay for and should last another hundred years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 07:41 am:

John,

Just curious - were those 12 volt starters?

Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

I'm sure John is referring to the 12 volt "conversion" starter that has been available for several years. Maybe even still??

All quality issues and discussion aside, my personal opinion is that this starter was/is an excellent retrofit concept. They took one of the most common starters on the road (small block Chevy), made a new armature and end plate, and presto! Instant 12V reliable replacement starter that can be easily repaired by any shop.

I did buy one of these starters to install on my speedster... Let's just say it didn't make it on the car. I returned the starter to the vendor citing multiple quality issues, and suggested they have a long discussion with the manufacturer about machining tolerances and quality control practices.

I don't know how many starters were made, or if any of of them were better than the one I layed hands on, but it's a shame to see this product not live up to its "design potential".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 12:21 am:

So my starters are 6 volt. I can tell you about the other type starters also. When Mr Larry was alive he use to say his product had a life time guarantee, as long as he was living he'd guarantee them. I have one on an old put together and it works great. It is a 6 volt also. I do believe a few years before he passed he had a run that had issues with the front mounting aluminum sand casting. Mine was not in that run and I'm happy with it for what it is and what it's on. However for a great looking, very reliable correct starter there really isn't much of a debate, Ron's are just fantastic and you can actually contact him with any questions. There are a few other vendors that are as easy and dependable as Ron selling their products and I buy from them also. One thing I've learned is the person that loves what they're doing, is passionate about their work and has the expertise to make it look simple is someone to buy from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

[ Who Sells the Best Starters ]
Henry Ford !!!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I've had excellent use of rebuilt starter from Joe, at Buckeye Electric. He delivers to Hershey, most times has stock, other times you need a core.

http://www.buckeyeautoelectric.com/renovations/model-t-starters/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Thanks Dan for another source for T starters and generators! Good to know. I added Buckeye Electric to my favorites list on my lap top.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration