The bushing was gone from this flywheel!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The bushing was gone from this flywheel!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:12 am:

When I took apart this spare flywheel assembly I was amazed to find that one of the triple gear bushings was completely gone. And, it looks like someone had driven their car with the transmission in that condition.

I do need to know if this wear on the base is serious? Can I use this flywheel? Seems like it's in a place that has nothing to do with the workings of the triple gears that have their bearings.

fklywheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:27 am:

The flywheel would be usable as the wear surface of a triple gear bushing is not damaged. The pins have to be replaced and the flywheel checked for cracks.
There was a batch of triple bushings made out of oilite bronze which did not hold up and did completely self destruct. I suspect this is the case. What is the condition of the remaining bushings? Are they solid bronze or Oilite?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:34 am:

I have seen flywheels that were worn where the triple gear rubbed with original bushings but that one pin really is worn down from the gear rubbing. The base area where the bushing sits looks ok. When installing new bushings I would add a few 1000's to compensate for wear when facing the new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:38 am:

This transmission was in the back of a barn and the owners had never owned a T so I'm thinking it was pulled years ago. The lower right pin area is where the bushing was missing. The other two were intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Am I assuming right, that means the flywheel triple gears were rebuilt?? This says oilite was not around until 1930:

Oilite
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oilite is a porous bronze or iron alloy commonly impregnated with an oil lubricant and used in bearings. The original Oilite and Oilite Plus are bronze alloys, while Super Oilite and Super Oilite 16 are iron-based. Oilite was developed by Chrysler in 1930,[1] originally for use in bearings for water pumps and spring shackles, and without oil as the porous filter element in gasoline filters. Chrysler sold approximately 500,000 Oilite bearings in 1930 and approximately 2.5 million the next year. The Super Oilite was introduced in 1932. Overall sales of all Oilite material in 1932 was seven million; this rose to 18 million in 1933. Oilite was a profit center for Chrysler during this time.[1] Currently, the Oilite trademark belongs to Beemer Precision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 12:37 am:

I think it can be used, I have only done one trans though. One thing - make sure your brace the flywheel good, give it good support when pressing in or out those pins. I busted a good flywheel learning that !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:36 am:

The triple gear bushings on that flywheel were really worn down, as evidenced by the wear on the flywheel. I believe the Ford Service book says .008 clearance. If you get much more than that, they will hit the reverse drum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration