Ford T 1909 2 levers (2017)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ford T 1909 2 levers (2017)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brice Chalançon on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Hi everybody,
I am not all the time on the MTFCA forum and my project continue slowly… But I would like to show you what I have done, and I have some questions. I finally found solutions for my rear axle, but it is not finished… I made a firewall just to test my column. I mounted it at 23" (582mm) between the radiator and the firewall like as Ford made between 1909 and 1914, but my carburator and ignition control rods are too short! Do you have an idea of the trouble? The measurement between the radiator and the firewall is different on the 750 first cars?

Me
Frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

You may have a later steering column. The steering column lengths got longer in 1911 and 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brice Chalançon on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Thank you for your message. I have to control that... But I bought this steering column at the beginning of my project with the help of a well known parts dealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

I have often wondered about this find. Thank you for posting updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

My Oct 1908 parts book for 2-lever cars has commutator rod 13 5/8 long and the carburetor pull rod 15 1/8 . In my parts book for 09/10 /11/12 the 09/ 10 steering gear post is 51' long and the 11/12 steering post is 53' long . Hope this helps .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

I have 2 1909 steering columns. One is from car #220. They both are 49 1/2 inch long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brice Chalançon on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Thank you for your help.
Could you show me from where to where you took the measurements on the steering column?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

If that's a 11 volume long there hard to find. I'd get a 24 or something. You can cut them down. I just did mine on the speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

The 49 1/2 in measurement is from the top of the main tube, under the brass gear box to the end of the steering shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brice Chalançon on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Thank you for the explanations and the pictures. If I measure like Kim did I have 573mm (about 22 1/2"). So it is too long...
I don't know what to do...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Brice, you can shorten the steering column jacket and re mount the quadrant. You will then need to shorten the spark and throttle rods and re drill the holes for the spark and gas arms. You will also need to shorten the steering shaft and re machine the taper, key slot and re thread the end.
To bad you got the wrong column, the 1909 column is hard to find and can be expensive! Best of luck to you on your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Is there a chance that Kim's column is for a torpedo? I would think that would be even rarer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

David, measuring the same way Kim did it, a 1911 Torpedo / Open Runabout (60") column tube is about 29-1/2" long.

A standard '11 - '12 (56") column tube comes in at just under 26" measured the same way.

So, it's longer than an '09 but shorter than a standard 56" column. Does that make it a 1910?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Brice, It sounds like Glenn has TWO and he might sell you one?? I see you are in France so shipping may be the deciding factor. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brice Chalançon on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

If I summarize :
1909 2 levers : tube measurements =20"
1911 torpedo : 29 1/2"
Standard 1911 : 26"

Mine=22 1/2"

So from which year is my tube?
@Glenn : could we speak in private message about your tube?
@Kim : 23" is right between the radiator and the firewall? Did you received my e-mails?

Thank you.

Maybe you saw in my others posts that my cylinder bloc is not in very good conditions... I found a solution to fix it but it is not sure to be possible. Do you think other people are interested if I make new cylinder blocs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

The measurement is 25" from July 7, 1910 until the first 20,000 cars in 1912 model year including tourings, town cars, coupes and commercial roadsters. The town cars also used the 25" dimension until 1917.

Brice I would say your tube is from 1909 after the first 2500 cars until July 7, 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Royce, this is a picture of the column from my 2 lever. As you can see it measures the same as the column on my 1910 #23805.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Interesting. The column from # 22 measures 20 1/2 at the same spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brice Chalançon on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Thank you very much everybody for your help and advises.
I will see what I will do.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration