Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Can you put a different type of rear brakes on a 1921 Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

Yes you can. Larry doesn't make the links to the pedal since he doesn't want any potential legal issues and the price may have been changed, but the phone number should work.

Jjj

Links should be available from another source if you don't want to make it yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

If you seal the rear axle outer bearings with neoprene seals you may also install lined parking brake shoes that would help in an emergency. Available from the usual Model T part vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Richard Baughman makes the linkage for Larry's brakes.

<richandbertie@gmail.com>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

I'm in the midst of installing SURE STOP disk brakes on my '23. I'm not doing anything to the car that can't be removed and returned to stock original except for a small tab that is welded to the brake pedal. Some criticize the appearance of disk brakes on a Model T but I'll take safety over originality every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

I prefer originality, accept the risks, and drive accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

I know I am driving a Model T, and I know it's limitations, and drive accordingly.

It is the other drivers in modern cars, who might know I am driving a Model T, but very few of them know my car won't stop like their's. It is their actions that put me in a compromising situation.

My disc brakes have saved me more times than I want to count. I was driving safely, they were not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

thank you all, I live in the hills in Vermont,some are rather steep,and dirt, my 21 ford is a made over wooden body pick up, I don't think it's as heavy as as it used to be with the steel body,the transmission brake seems to work ok in my yard,the man I bought it from bult the body useing pine,he was 95 years young and did a wonderfull job,just wished he used oak,it is what it is.I was wondreing if the steel shoe's in the rear could be changed to any other type.and those ac type look very interesting,they look to ride on the out side of the drum,nifty,soon as the mud dries up I will take my belt up a notch and wander to to not so steep hill first.if she can climb up she should be able to get back down,thank you all again for your help.GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

What Roger said above about the lined emergency brake shoes. :-)
They are quite good and will lock up the rear wheels on a gravel hill and driveway on my Crappy little pickup even tho I have big 16" pickup (wrong) tires on it.
See my profile pic. :-)
I'd love to try the AC brakes and will some time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

duey,i don't think your ford is crappy.,she just differ's a little,think of it this way.im still able to do my thing!cute as all git out.thank you for shareing.GREG.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration