Very OT: Briggs & Stratton carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Very OT: Briggs & Stratton carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

I can't split wood. The machine starts up, runs two or three seconds, and dies. I want to open up the carburetor for inspection and cleaning, but have hit a snag.

I can get it apart about 1/8", but something inside is keeping it from going any farther. I don't want to force it and break something. Anybody have some experience with one of these and can reveal the secret of disassembly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Steve, in the palm of your hand is a jet or mixture emulsion tube. I think if you pull it out it will come apart. It's been a long time since I had one apart, but I think that is the secret. Notice that there is a passage on an angle to the center of the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

I had a Stromberg do this a few years ago. I pried it apart and discovered a cracked, pot metal venturi. It had swelled. I was told that the cost of extracting the old one and machining a new one in aluminum would out way the cost of a good rebuilt carb, so that's what I did. I hope this is not the case here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Nope. I tried it. Still no go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Your venturi is holding it together. Spray up in there with some car cleaner followed by some Kroil or P.B Blaster type chemical.
Then take two large screwdrivers and wedge them between the venturi on either side and slowly wiggle, hammer and work the carburetor halves apart. Be careful of the float and the float pivot point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU CHECK THE PRICING ON A NEW CARB ON THE INTERNET SEARCH. I DO A FARE AMOUNT OF SMALL ENGINE REPAIR AND HAVE FOUND THAT MANY TIMES YOU CAN BUY A NEW CARB FOR LITTLE MORE THAN THE PRICE OF A REBUILD KIT.
CONCERNING YOUR DISASSEMBLY PROBLEM,THE FLOAT CAN SOMETIMES HANG DOWN AND JAM ON THE BOWL'S WALL. TRY TURNING IT UPSIDE DOWN AND LIGHTLY RAPPING ON THE BOWL TO SEE IF IT WILL IT UP. GOOD LUCK JOE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

Remove the adj. Screw on the bottom. It's quite long. Whatever you do DO NOT try to force it. Look for an exploded parts view on line if all else fails but I'm pretty sure it's the screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Steve, like Jeff said that angled mixture tube has to be removed before the carb will come apart. Remove the fitting, with a 1/2" wrench, I think, then use a screwdriver that fits the slot up inside. Once that is removed the carb will fall apart.
Oh, the Chinese knock-off carbs are JUNK. Rebuild the one you have. Ship it to me here in NC and I will fix it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Got it. The head of the tube was hidden by accumulated crud.

Carb cleaner is on my shopping list for tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Looks like ethonol carb. Glad you got it steve, hate to think a guy froze to death cause he couldnt get the splitter running. Thats the great thing about burning wood. You get heated up several times during the process.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

I could use the wedges, if I could remember where I put them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

You may find that carb cleaner won't touch that mess. I throw my carbs into an ultrasonic cleaner, everything falls away and cleans up nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 07:41 am:

The white powder that is coating the inside of the carburetor is the result of corrosion from using ethanol based fuel. The bad part is that it not only coats everything with the oxide you're seeing but also causes pitting in the fuel passages that a rebuild is not likely to address.

Thanks for posting this picture. It's should be reposted everytime someone advocates for using pure gas on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 07:59 am:

Another case of extreme alcohol poisoning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:50 am:

I feel fortunate, that Mr. Jelf was the photographer. Not everyone has his skill with a camera. I have saved his picture for future use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:47 am:

I agree with you Ed - Jeff is a great photographer! Not sure how he gets both hands, each holding a separate part, into the frame while focusing and pushing the camera button.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Dan, when I bought my T several years ago, that is exactly what my carburetor looked like. I bought a rebuilt from Lang's for just the reason that you mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:53 am:

It'll clean up just fine. Carb cleaner and air pressure. You've done T carbs before. It's about as simple as they are. Go to it. And remember to drain it when the unit is going to sit for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:03 am:

I drained the tank. Here's how the gas looks after sitting overnight.

Brian, the secret is the self timer and a tripod. Lighting is by a couple of shop lights (bought cheap at auctions, of course).
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:06 am:

How old is that gas, Steve ?????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Find a can of this stuff on ebay and soak the carb in it. It's magic!

It can also do wonders for your modern car. I have a 87 GMC beater truck that was running super rough when I got it a couple of years ago. My son, who's a professional mechanic, recommended this stuff. Run the tank down to 1/4 full, dump in a can of this, Run the car until it's hot, then let it sit overnight. I did that once and the truck ran like new. If you take it to a shop, then have a device that puts the stuff right into the fuel rail, but just putting it in the tank seems to work damn well. I just fixed a poorly running generator by soaking the carb in this stuff. Pretty disgusting what came out of it - and now it runs great.

BG seems to have great products in a field that's full of snake oil. Not available retail, but readily available on ebay.

I have no connections other than being a very satisfied customer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Steve, I bought that gas on June 9.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:50 am:

I'd say you need to clean your fuel tank as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Knarly ! How'd it smell ???

We're fortunate enough to have an ethanol free station close-by - lots of boats out here. I only put the ethanol gas in our modern rigs that get driven regularly to burn it up - everything else get the straight stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Steve, just a suggestion, but our generator guy at work that also handles RV's (You know they sit alot during the winter time here in the northeast), suggests mixing in some two cycle oil. I do this on the doodlebug T and have had good results of no issues. I bought a quart of the Valvoline 2 cycle oil, it'll last me a while. I don't measure, i just dump a bit in---probably similar to the small bottles that you can buy, mixed into 5 gallons. If it starts smoking, it obviously has too much, LOL.

Even the yard equipment seems to do ok---but I do run the carbs empty at the end of the season---mixed with a higher does of the oil in the gas. This has proved to work well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

I took apart the carburetor, cleaned it out, blew it out with compressed air, put it back together, flushed the tank, and went to work.

Again I can split.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 06:35 am:

French fried potatos? Looks like a box of stakes Steve! Glad your back is back to work also. Good to hear your warm again.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:35 am:

This is why I run 100LL av gas in my small engines at the end of the season. lawn mower, weed eater, Etc. Only a gallon or two and no storage issues

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Dallas, if you need boxes of a convenient size for many uses, your local McDonalds is a good source. They empty several fry cases every day, and the price is perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Steve what you're looking at in that tank is classic ethanol gas breaking down the "varnish" left by non ethanol fuel. The non e gas won't dissolve it's own varnish but ethanol does. Believe me that's EXACTLY what it looks like. White grainy stuff. A fuel filter will catch it as you probably won't get it all out of the tank. Use a lawn mower type non fuel pump filter.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration