Some more reasons to check ypur rear end ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Some more reasons to check ypur rear end ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

No not that rear end :-) The Ts rear end. Started doing the final clean up and mining for the last good parts today needed for the speedster project rear end rebuild. I had bought new axles but I needed the gears. I had tore down about 10 rear ends this winter mining for parts. I ended up with 4 axles that looked useable, but I wanted the 1/16 inch longer axles, as it makes using accy brakes easier. Out of the four axles and gears I found one cracked in a way Ive not seen before. Its a shame as the gear measures 1.806,(possibly .001 wear), and the axle bearing surfaces were almost perfect as well as the hub key way and threads. . It was the best axle I had as to very little or no wear. If I had not pressed off the gear, it would have been very easy to have missed the crack. It would have taken a very close inspection of the gear to notice it. The gear cracked thru the corner of the key way. I believe the cracked gear, then caused the key way in the axle to fail. One entire side of the axle at the key way is almost completely broken away. This is just a reminder to check all the parts very well when rebuilding the rear end. It would have been very easy to miss the crack in this axle and then re-install it into a car, because it had so little wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:46 am:

I wonder if that was used for running a buzz saw, grain grinder or auger with the rear jacked up and belt attached to the wheel??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:49 am:

WOW! Good catch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Would have been ugly if that failed on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:08 am:

I had a similar issue with my drive shaft.
Noticed that the key way did not look so good.
Starting looking at it and flipped a chunk off of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Its funny how the camera makes the cracks in the gear show up better than when I look at it in person. The photo shows two cracks at the key way in the gear. In person, it is almost impossible to see the second short crack. You have to have a strong light and hold it just right to see it. I never saw the second crack till I took the pictures. Chris, I think I would only need to "tap" the side of the axle key way to make it look like your key way. Just another reminder. "Check those parts well" and have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown ....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration