21 TT dump bed?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 21 TT dump bed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I just bought a 21 TT out of a barn. Outside the barn is a big heavy steel dump bed that was on the truck. Approximately what do dump beds go for? Also, is it more desirable to have a heavy duty dump bed on the truck, or an accessory wood bed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Daniel:
how is the heavy duty dump bed operated ? if it is hydraulic then it probably does not go to this truck ...the only dump beds I have seen on model T or other model trucks of the T era were all hand crank dumps...always an optimist Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

I think it is a hand crank one. I've got an accessory wood pickup bed too, and I'm debating which way to go. Which bed improves the desirability of the truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 01:53 am:

Daniel, it all depends on who is doing the desiring! I like the wooden trays better. They are easier for me to get into shape. They are quieter in use. There is greater flexibility in making/fitting them.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 01:54 am:

I would not look at it in terms of what others think the "desirability"
of the truck is. Build it in some cool, period fashion that works for
you ! Tank trucks, tow trucks, dump trucks are all cool. I haul a
wide variety of stuff, from bricks to hay to brush to firewood, and
everything in between. Tank trucks and tow trucks are pretty limited
in their uses, the dump truck would have some serious advantages,
but a few limitations that the plain old flatbed could do more generally,
so I went with the stock "Ford Truck" bed it came with. But that's just
me. It suits my uses best in that configuration. I don't give a damn
what anyone else thinks or if they do or do not desire it. It's mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 02:33 am:

Daniel, personally I would go with the dump bed. They are a bit more rare, but I just like them. Anything on a TT that is era correct is good though. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Paul on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 06:13 am:

Besides hand-cranked dump beds, many TT's were fitted with Gravity dump bed also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 06:26 am:

Dump box pretty rare and very desirable,that's how I would go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ED THIBODEAU on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

My 23 TT is a gravity box, released by pulling a cord that goes thru the back of the cab and drops the box which has a cam that unlatches the tail gate that has an adjustable chain to control the opening. Then you have to pull the box back down where it latches automatically. It works great, and is original to the truck. Im the 3rd owner and have a picture of it back in the time it was being used at an orchard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Well I just bought a gravity dump with TT frame for $400 of eBay, so that would be a start point for value. My grandfather hauled coal in WV for many years, although never in a TT. He wanted to get one for the TT we fixed, but we never found one. So my current project is getting a dump bed. Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

I think it is actually a gravity dump bed. I think I am going to go that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony L on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Daniel,

I see that you started two threads for this topic. This one seems to have received more responses, so, I'll post here, too. :-)

I uploaded images of gears and many more images of this truck here: ( I run this site and use high res images when possible.)

http://fordtt.com/2017/03/28/wolcott-mill-dump-box-tt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Recent live and online auction here in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Had a TT wrecker, a TT flatbed and aTT dump bed with the winch operated metal bed. The tow truck went for the most money, it was really neat looking, and the flat bed and the dump bed went for almost the same money, close to $10k each. So, that particular marketplace did not put a preumium on the dump bed over the flatbed.

Might just be visual appearance. The tow truck had a neat curved boom, the flatbed, you could do what you want with stakes, sides, etc. The dump truck is just a dump truck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration