Exhaust pipe nut

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Exhaust pipe nut
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

I need advice again. Swapping out a vaporizer for a NH but the exhaust pipe nut is ridiculously tight. Any of you model T guys have any ideas to get it loose? I PB blasted it tonight but couldn't budge it!!Any advise would be great the pipe has been ran for 3-4 years since the exhaust nut was put on. Thanks for the help. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Get it hot first....either run the engine or use a propane torch (go easy).

Mine wasn't budging either. It had been on there for at least 47 years....probably a lot longer. I heated it up with a torch and it started moving.

I then squirted some penetrating oil in the threads and rocked it back and forth with my exhaust nut wrench and each time I rocked it, it moved a bit further.....then eventually gave up and came off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

In case it does not come off even with the correct mighty wrench, heat, penetrating oil, I will be the first to welcome you to the 2 piece exhaust manifold club. We are legion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 02:00 am:

Tim, along with heat, keep tapping at the flats on the nut with a ball pein hammer. This will help break the rust and possibly expand the nut a little. Don's suggestion to rock it back and forth, once you have even the slightest movement, will let you gradually wind it off. Patience is a virtue.

When you put it back on, use some high temp anti seize compound on the threads and it will not give you the same grief down the track.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 04:24 am:

Heat expands the metal. Heat only long enough to expand the nut without heating and expanding the exhaust manifold threads inside the nut. Tricky. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Use a hammer to tap on the flats as far as you can get around them. Do this repeatedly for a while. Then get a wrench, ( I used a pipe wrench with a 2ft cheater on the handle. ) It will begin to slightly move and when it does tap on the flats again. Do this repeatedly and it begin begin to turn. Then use wd-40 or something similar and it will come off. Take your time.

Using a hammer in this way is an old plumbers trick that usually works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Don't use pipe wrenches! All they do is mess up the nut, plus the handle needs to be offset to avoid hitting stuff. A Ford pack nut wrench is the only way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:38 am:

If you're swapping the manifolds anyway, you can remove them and the Vaporizer WITH the entire exhaust pipe and work on it elsewhere - away from fuel. When I swapped by engine, I just removed and replaced the whole lot together.
Obviously, I had the radiator out, but I think the exhaust system and manifolds will come out anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Larry I've used a pipe wrench on the manifold nuts since I was a kid. Never hurt any of them. Its all in the way you do it and knowing how to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

There is a reason that Exhaust Nut Wrench does not have a longer handle.

I used a wrench with a longer handle twice last year and twisted off the whole threaded area of the Exhaust Manifold.

The good news was that the pipe and manifold were separated and the engine could come out.

Then too, the exhaust manifold is usually too warped to be reused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

I second the recommendation to heat the nut, however, apply wet rags to the manifold, so as to isolate the heat to the nut. Use the correct Ford wrench, or use a crescent like I do. I'm not criticizing your use of a pipe wrench John, but would like to know how this is to be applied with a cheater bar and menacing force to a brass nut, without damaging the nut?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Tim: Why not fix the Vaporizer? They work fine if they are right. If it has broken parts, call me. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Dan I pulled it off tonight. Used PB blaster on the threads and tapped on the exhaust nut on all sides with a hammer and the nut came off the exhaust easy. I bought a Wilmo because it was one piece and easier to handle. I had it high temp powder coated so it wouldn't peel. I kept the vaporizer maybe it can be rebuilt again. A man I Knoxville built it last time and it was hard to start and ran rich. Thanks for all of the advice from everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Scott, Its all in the size of the pipe wrench. I have an old Ridged pipe wrench that's 12" long. The jaws open just wide enough to make a good fit on the nut. If you take any rusted or old fitting and grad a 'big ol pipe wrench' or any other wrench and start getting down on the part you'll twist or break it off every time. Its what you do before hand that's makes the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Thanks John. I was thinking more about the steel jaws digging into the brass.
Thx,
Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration