Did the coil box have a battery terminal in 1914?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Did the coil box have a battery terminal in 1914?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Since Ford did not provide a battery or wiring for a battery, was there a terminal for a battery on the coil box from the factory? If not, was there a hole for a battery terminal in the dash board? My current replica dash has no hole (and no terminal) for the battery. I like it. Is it authentic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

The dash and the coil boxes of all Model T's had a battery terminal originally from the first Model T until the last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Hi Greg,

All of the coil boxes with a switch on the front have a battery terminal on the right and the magneto terminal on the left. I hope that this helps. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

From about 1921 up coil boxes didn't have the battery terminal, the switch on the dash took care of both. The 26/27 only had the one terminal on the bottom of the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

Greg:

All wooden dashes for Model T left the factory with 10 holes for the coil box porcelain insulators to poke through. One of those holes is for the connection to the coil box switch of the BATTERY. Since your car is a 14 it also would have a slot for the steering column to slide into place through the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:08 am:

13-14 coil box photo by Kim Dobbins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

That's what I suspected. I'm getting a new dash and will be adding a terminal. Thanks everyone.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration