Axle Drop w/Hasslers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Axle Drop w/Hasslers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry H on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

I am in the process of removing a back axle on a car equipped with hasslers. What fastener represents the safest point from which to disconnect the axle from the spring? How much preload is in the hassler /leaf?

Here it is. As the kids say about posting pics, mupload that ish!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

You will need to remove all the weight from axle and make a set of spring compressor bolts. Those Hassler bolts have a lot of power and can/will hurt you if not handled carefully.I suggest you get the booklet vendors sell and read it .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:40 am:

In 1921, when five million Fords were built, Hassler claimed: "One million Ford car owners have found Hasslers worthwhile" - That's amazing, if accurate. Hasslers must have been the most successful Model T accessory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Henry, I've got a question for you, What are you going to do with the Hassler's ??? It appears that the bracket nearest the hub could raise the spring and box maybe a couple of inches. I need to raise the back end of my 26' RPU by 2", looks like hell from a side view. I don't know of any other way to raise the back end and still keep it looking decent. Are your Hassler's in good shape and could they be for sale ??? Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:42 am:

You need a pair of these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:31 am:

You don't need the official Hassler tool to compress the spring.

A simple spring compressor can be made from a threaded rod, two nuts and a flat piece of rectangular steel with a hole drilled in it.

Put the threaded rod down the center of the Hassler and through the hole at the bottom bracket, attach one nut at the bottom under the bracket. Put the piece of flat steel and nut on the top end of the coil and proceed to tighten the top nut.

The above method is how I removed the Hasslers from my roadster. I don't like them (I think they're ugly).

I did eventually pick up the correct tool as shown in your picture. It was actually attached to a Hassler spring and bracket.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on March 01, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry H on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

So the best sequence would be to compress the hassler, then remove the bolt from the end of the leaf spring? How much springback should I expect when removing the leaf spring bolt?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration