OT: Group Red Corvair.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Group Red Corvair.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Always entertained by this site which is: "GROUP Red is a pointless organization whose membership is composed of those who own a Corvair currently on jackstands."

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/

A self-described 'pointless organization' has so much patina that you cannot help but admire it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Thanks for the eye-opener. It helped pass the time while I was trying to think of something pointless to post here. :-) :-)
"If it puts a smile on a face it was worth the time".
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Interesting. I have a friend with more than twice the requisite number of Corvairs that have not moved off their jackstands in years. He could be in line for charter membership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Well Dang! I guess I'll have to go out and take pictures of mine now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Everyone owned or almost owned a Corvair at one time.
Those that almost owned one are the lucky ones.

I was lucky to almost purchase a yellow spider convertible while in college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I owned two of them in my younger years. Almost bought a third before I came to my senses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

I used to work for Norm. A more erudite and 'witty' (pun intended) guy you will never meet. He's also big into Oldsmobiles.

Norm is also the guy behind the Mercury 'Crapri' Craigslist ad that made the rounds on the web and was highlighted by the Car Talk guys.

(Message edited by zdillinger on March 01, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

That's hillarious

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

I have Corvair parts...anybody want them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Is there a Model T on jackstands group?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Tiresavers don't count though Ed

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Best vehicle I owned was a factory camper Greenbrier van.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Aren't they all on jack stands?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

In an era of many elegant cars, the Corvair is like a turd in a punchbowl
for being pure ugly. Add in whatever mechanical shortcomings they may
or may not have had .... I give GM an "A+" for such a fine delivery of WHAT
THE F#@K ?

The Greenbrier truck series wasn't near so atrocious as the toady little
cars.

A former girlfriend's dad had an early series Spyder. Interesting car to
drive, but embarrassing to be seen in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

My best buddy had a '65 in high school, about 2 years old. A nice driving, fun and sporty little car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Corvair was a chevy misscariage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Above not it....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Not a bad looking car. I could never find the engine. I cant knock it I never owned one. Guess Im lucky that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Very good fit and finish, the front end structure was built like a tank. The whole body was tight, and even the lacquer looked good. Pates had the last corvair that went down the assembly line, a red one that was an incomplete assembly which GM donated to them. It was on stands back in the '70's in the museum. The swap meet at that time had about 20 vendors....lol Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Did they come stock with jack stands or are they aftermarket? Must be stock if the museum used them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

I always liked the looks of them....even the early ones. The late 60's version is swoopy and has sexy lines.

One of the "car guys" that I ran around with in high school in the 80's was a Corvair guy and drove nothing but.

Cool thing for him was that in the 80's, people would practically give them to you. So consequently he had six or seven of them in various states of repair on their farm and had his own parts store/junkyard of sorts.

His cars always handled well and ran well. So...I've got nothing but fond memories of them.

On a sad note, he recently passed on...46 years old....too young to go. I need to find out what happened to all those Corvairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

They actually still make Corvairs. They just haul them to a junk yard and cut out the middle man. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

In the era before four wheel drive became common those little rear-engined Corvairs could go through more snow than the average car or truck.

The smooth undersides and the weight bias to the driven wheels gave the only other car out doing donuts in the un-plowed school parking lot (My Volkswagen beetle) a run for its money!Slap on a set of studded mud & snows or a set of chains and you could go cross country.....

Unfortunately, the Corvair's heating system (air from the cooling fan ducted over the exhaust manifolds and into the passenger compartment) always smelled of burning oil due to the pushrod seals leaking, a problem that VWs shared, but my bug had a gasoline heater in it.

I always thought the later '66-67 cars were nicely porportioned and the earlier ones looked like an oversized electric shaver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

I had a used 62 Corvair as a second car for a while. Wife drove it a couple times and wouldn't get in it again. Shift linkage would pop out of joint and you had to just wave the lever until you could find a gear or get the tools out. The heater pumped oil fumes so freeze or gag. Sad little car and almost as ugly as a Gremlin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Had the 2nd generation Corvair design been the 1960-64 design,
they would have been great looking cars against the competition.
Rather, they made those gawdawful 60-64 toads, and by the time
the body restyle came about, everything else on the market was on
a positive styling uptick and the poor Corvair was just "another car"
that would have really stood out as good looking four years earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

I had three of them and loved them all. My 63 Monza convertible would out corner any early Mustang and with some power added via the carb upgrade I did it had just about as much power. I couldn't out run the 289's but I could outrun the Mustang 6's and did it several times.

I had a 65 Corsa convertible and a 66 Corsa convertible. The 65 had the 110 and the 66 had the 140. They were great cars by then but the early ones had problems that dogged their reputation and hurt sales. You had to learn to take care of them and you had to learn how to drive. When they came out most people were used to driving some slug with a big V8 up front, bad handling but with predictable understeer. Corvairs drove more like sports cars.

I bought one at an auction last fall, 66 with 27,000 miles, new paint, new interior, one family owned since new and pretty plain Jane but had been in storage in the guy's body shop for nearly 40 years. The blower whined just like I remembered and I was looking forward to having fun with it and teaching the girl to drive the stick shift but the night of the auction a woman called me and offered my $3000 more than I paid for it so I sold it to her. I'd like to have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Hey! I bought one of those new!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

GM'a last best attempt at making a sensible car. Looked good, lots of room inside, not to big outside. In general, a modern concept. Walter Gropius the BAHAUS architect drove one. Black sedan of course. Getting the air cooled engine to meet emission standards was the stake in its heart, well after it was vilified By Ralph Nader for what VW beetles should have been blamed for.
My cousin had a red supercharged convertible on jack stands for a decade or so while he failed to restore it. My drunken uncle cut it up and took it to the scrap yard years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

I could not use jack stands on the one I had. There wasn't enough solid metal left under that car😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:13 am:

I owned several including a 1966 with a 140 and really liked them. I think Ralph Rader gave them a bum rap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:19 am:

Certainly an interesting looking car! I'd rather have that than one of those ugly Pintos.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 01:39 am:

Pintos took the crown for hideously ugly until the title was stolen
away by the Chevy Chevette. Cars like these blew the barn doors
wide open for Japanese carmakers to put the hurt on U.S. carmakers.

Both make Corvairs look like beautiful metal sculpture !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 05:54 am:

In the early seventy's when I had a collision and towing service, I towed in a 64 Monza convertible that the engine had blown. The guy was from Texas and the car was mint except for the engine and faded maroon paint on the hood and trunk. I ended up getting stuck with the car. I tried to sell it with no luck and finally scraped it to get rid of it. The salt would really take a toll on them in this area. The lower windshield channel and top of the cowl would rot away, also the floors and motor mount area. It was not a good car for the rust belt areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 06:30 am:

I had girl friend that had a monza with a rotary engine in it and that little pregnant roller skate got 6 miles to the gallon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 07:14 am:

Owned two in the early 70's. Great cars and no regrets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 07:35 am:

Love my 140 convertible 4 speed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:29 am:

A cool car in its own right that has a big following.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Had a '66 bug. Good TOUGH car. We had 7 kids in that thing one noon hour in high school! Little Joey Conkler went BEHIND the back seat.
72 mph top speed one quiet and humid summer night.
Had a '73 Capri (a little Ford built in Germany). Good car til the fuel pump let the gas into the crankcase. Easy 110 mph car.
Perhaps that was better than my wife's old '78 T Bird. When the fuel pump started leaking, it peed gas on the exhaust manifold. Yikes. Really nice car.
Buddies had Pintos, Vegas, Chevettes and I had two of a buddies Gremlins in my woods for a few years.
Pintos ran like a sewing machine. I have one of those little industrial engines in my old skid loader. Sewing machine with a knock.
That Vega was a neat car to drive.
Chevettes (IF you can find them solid) are just NAUGHTY TOUGH for demo derbies.
The Gremlins? Simple, tough and solid smaller cars. That AMC 6 had to be tough if THAT buddy owned it.
I really shoulda bought Almory's '60 or '61 Corvair sedan (got one just like it running for the Brother In Law some time earlier).
There's a local guy that has 5 Corvairs and at least one is a later rag-top. Neat lookin' automobiles.
Eugene, a Monza with the nearly unkillable Wankel? Didn't know they mated those two together. We used rotaries in our old snowmobiles for years.
Those cars are different.
Just like you fellas.
Me? I'm as normal as they come...
Bwahahahaha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

My wife's first car was a new dark blue convertible Corvair.
She had just started her first job as a school teacher in Miami Florida.
Her mother came with her to drive it home because she didn't know how to drive a car with a standard transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:03 am:

My Dad bought a new '67 VW, biggest piece of crap I ever drove. He was a rural mail carrier and it was great for what he did, but it sucked for normal driving, especially for cruising in town in the winter. I would have to go out on the highway out of town every once in a while to try to warm the damn thing up when it was cold. Needless to say, it wasn't much of a chick magnet!:-( I could leave town and drive to another town about 15 miles from here in the hills and just leave my foot planted on the footfeed on the floor, 65 down hill, 55 up hill. I hated that car, and still hate any VW to this day.:-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:50 am:

David,
But '67 was the first "modern" bug, when they finally switched to 12 volts!

But yeah, who knows where VW got its business model:
Design a simple car that anyone with a basic tool kit can fix, don't constantly change the thing for the sake of Planned Obsolescence, just keep improving it as the technology evolves, sell them cheap so everyone can afford one and make millions of them!

Who'd want a car like that???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:13 am:

A Corvair sometimes shows up at car shows around here wearing a (real) Pa. vanity license plate that says "FNADER".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

I've been involved with VW's since 1968 and sold our small collection (6) when we moved from NH in 04. Like the T, I love their simplicity :-) Of course the Corvair had more stock HP, but reasonably achieved with the VW's too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Eugene, never heard of that swap. Corvair engines ran counterclockwise. How did they deal with that when swapping in the rotary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Eugene probably meant a Mazda, instead of "Monza"...?...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

David S

I agree, the heater in any VW bug I ever rode in was pretty crude, but they were better than the heater in a model T ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Yeah Gary, but in a Model T at least you don't EXPECT to stay warm. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 08:49 am:

My garage.T and Vair

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 08:58 am:

I swapped a Corvair engine into a '67 VW "back in the day". My first version included flipping the differential carrier to the other side, and letting the transmission run backwards. After eating a few transmissions, I decide to reverse the rotation of the engine with a special camshaft and distributor drive gears from Crower. I ran a lightened VW flywheel machined to fit the Corvair engine, and a starter that was a combination of 6 and 12 volt parts. In my opinion, the engine was the best part of the Corvair. The Ecotec swap is more common today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

A nested Falcon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

My dad came home with a white Falcon when I was a kid. So proud 4dr just like the nested one. Nice looking car. My younger brother opened the rear door and got in. Standing on the rear floorboard and fell through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Where is that tree climbing Falcon ? I seem to remember seeing
this car along the road near Dorrigo, NSW while on an Aussie get
away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Burger,
Muckleford South, just out of Castlemaine, North of Melbourne. VIC
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 01:46 am:

Ha ! That's amazing ! My one-time trip to Oz and I just happen to
drive past that car ! What are the chances ? !!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration