Re boring my roller timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Re boring my roller timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Getting some Under hood work done on my 24 touring
while the rad. Is out of it. The timer had some wear chucked it up got it running true and it took
.040 to clean it up. I bet it will run better. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Hardest part is finding a hardened pin for roller.Once they wear,the timer will go to skipping again.I had Tony rebuild two early Ford script timers and convert them to TW guts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

I recall reading someplace that two small ball bearings side to side could substitute for the roller and a soft pin could be used to support the bearings. I also seem to recall reports that the bearings had a short life b/c the current eroded the ball/races. fwiw, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

i checked my timing cover alignment with a gauge i made and it was off about .015. the roller looks and feels good i am going to fire her up tomorrow we will see. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:13 am:

A good friend of mine tried the ball bearing roller thing several years ago and it only lasted a few miles. The erosion ate it up quickly. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:54 am:

The races in a ball bearing are designed to be stationary when loaded. If they are used as a rolling contact wear will occur. Electrical erosion may/will accelerate this. Don't ask how I know this.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:19 am:

I've made and used ball bearing rollers a whole lot over the past 10 years. The electrical erosion that occurs on the outer surfaces does not effect performance. The only downside is the OD of the bearings is smaller than the original rollers and, if you turn down the ID of the case races, you change the geometry of the contact.
Now, I machine a solid roller and increase the OD to make up for the amount I shave off the timer case. Like Jack says above, the key to a long lasting fix is using hardened steel for the pins.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration