Controller Shaft Bracket Felts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Controller Shaft Bracket Felts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

I've met a few knowledgeable guys that didn't know they even existed! They dropped them for a year or two around 1921, but apparently realized the brackets weren't getting the oil they needed, so they reinstated them. The early ones take a rectangular felt, and the late ones use a round felt. Kind of important from a lubrication standpoint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Larry thanks for bringing this up I discovered the felts on my 25 when I had the controller shaft assembly out for a clean-up, inspection and repaint. They were in a petrified state, so I soaked them in kerosene,then lacquer thinner, then finally some light oil,this process brought them back to life. As you know there is a small hole in the frame located between the attaching bolts so one can oil these. Mine were all but invisible being plugged with dirt. As mentioned, I'm sure there are some here that don't know these felts even exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:14 am:

The brackets are included on the lube charts, but my guess is that most people don't know what's inside them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:18 am:

I use a couple pieces of Green scratcher for a felt in mine.They hold up well and keep an oil film on shaft.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration