Building the Baby Chadwick, a 1912 Sport Tourabout (part 2017)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Building the Baby Chadwick, a 1912 Sport Tourabout (part 2017)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Next month I will finally after a decade have all my parts in 1 location and be ready to start building. As I don't have a garage but have some work space it will be a collection of smaller accomplishments which will work to reduce the time for the build once I have a place. At this point here are the drawings . . .

The wheelbase will be stretched to 110 with about a 7 inch sucide in the front. The front drop will include chevy spindles, inverted eye, and front plate/frame extended. The rear drop will be done with elliptical springs. The fenders are my own design with leather or canvas aprons. Yes it is RHD. While I am still sketching things it is an excellent oppurtunity to voice input. If I wanted a speedster or stock touring car that is what I would be building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Curious as to how you plan to manage the steering. I'm sure you have a plan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

If your car building skills are as good as your solid modeling skills, the car is going to turn out great! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Nothing definitive yet on steering. At this point I'm going to be keeping my eyes open. I know I don't plan on using T steering though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

For what it's worth, on my 27 roadster I modified the front axle to incline the kingpins inwardly 9 degrees on each side. Doing this achieved the extended line of the kingpins contacting the road in the centre of the tire "contact patch" ( the part of the tire on the road). It required me to make new spindles which helped with the installation of front brakes. Anyway the added benefit is that it now steers like a modern car both forward and reverse. As such the stock steering mechanism becomes totally satisfactory under all circumstances that I have encountered. I realize it is a bunch of work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 09:07 am:

My first impression is: WOW! This is very close to the plan I have been cooking in the back of my mind for many years. I have long dreamed of a 4-seat speedster with a top. Again: WOW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

It isn't something I just sketched up but something I have been working on for a while. As it gets closer it will be more accurate. I will be having seats/fenders made using aluminum, if you are interested a second set might reduce costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

This is very interesting to me, as I was thinking recently of how to make a T speedster look like Rob Heyden's K before it got all that extraneous fenders and whatnot put back on it. ;)

Your images do almost exactly that. My ideal look would be sans the rear seat, but other than that it looks like a baby K.

Thanks for stoking the embers a bit more in my brain.

jk

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration