Replacement Model T Muffler for Speedsters and Drivers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Replacement Model T Muffler for Speedsters and Drivers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Numerous times in the past, there have been discussions on the forum about cheap replacement mufflers for Model Ts. The usual answer was go to Tractor Supply and buy their FO-11 muffler. Well, I checked their online catalog and didn't find it. So, I went to my local store and they didn't have it. They did have one that fit an IH and a different one that fit an AC. I asked a salesperson about the FO-11 and he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I had him mease the IH-1 and he told me it had a 1 1/2" inlet, so I bought it. When I got home, my micrometer showed it had a 1 3/8" inlet. Now, I have a pipe expander tool, but I googled 1 1/2" inlet mufflers and one of the suggestions that came up was Summit Racing products. I checked their site and they show no less (maybe more) Walker mufflers that have a 1 1/2" inlet. I'll take my TS muffler back for a refund and order from Summit. FYI for anyone looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Another option to check is Speedway Motors. I've recently ordered a bunch of components to make some exhaust headers from them. Satisfactory prices and quality and service. I have not looked at any mufflers
I did however get some Halibrand change gears as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stanley-muffler-company-inlet-aluminize d-muffler-ac-1

Maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Does the small outlet opening in many of the Model T mufflers keep the engine horsepower down? There has been much written about how to improve the power output of our engines such as better heads and cams, different pistons, bigger valves, better carbs and intakes. Does the stock exhaust nullify all these improvements?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Also try rural king for fo-11

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Robert, the AC-1, also has a 1 3/8" id inlet. The main difference is the overall length.

Jerry, Even if I kept the IH-1 with the 1 3/8" id. inlet and used my pipe expander to open it up to 1 1/2' id dia., performance would not be affected because the muffler is a straight through design, like a glass pack. It would still have less restriction than the baffled T replacement muffler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Muffler???? Did you say Muffler??? You don't need no stinkin' muffler on your speedster. Only sissy's and old men have mufflers on their speedsters. Real men have straight pipes and loud noise.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:24 am:

Found this on Agri Supply web site #19509 $22.99.
This Case tractor muffler has a horizontal round body shape and is compatible with a number of different case tractors. This muffler accepts both gas and diesel engines. This muffler measures 18-1/2 in. in length with the shell length measuring 13-1/2 in.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 09:22 am:

When I blew out my muffler I wanted to drive while waiting on a new muffler I got one of the slip on's for my Harley.....fit sounded good, but just didn't look right...Maybe I ought to weld up the blown out muffler with the slip on inside.....mumbling going off to garage..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Update, After comparing the dimensions and prices of the various Walker and AP mufflers that Summit Racing offers that have a 1 1/2" ID inlet, I ordered their part umber WLK 18424, which is a 6" dia. round shell; 12" shell length muffler that sells for $31.99. I think it does have offset inlets and outlets, but to position the muffler away from the floorboard to reduce heat. that may work to an advantage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

My 14 has the stock muffler and runs good. The speedster has a glasspack and runs better, but it is nowhere near stock. I only have room for a small 2 inch pipe on the speedster. I wouldn't want the 14 to be any louder. My coupe has an after market generic muffler with 1 1/2 inch inlet/outlet with a tailpipe out to the bumper because I got a lot of exhaust smell in the car.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Terry
Interesting option. Thank you for info
Jerry
The answer is not simple. Engine HP is affected by many factors. So the short answer to your question is no, but certainly at some stage the exhaust system becomes a significant factor. In the "super flathead " that I'm building, all these items are being considered.
Having had further communication with the Lincoln hillclimb organizer, I'm now more confident that I will be considered "legal "
Anyway Jerry it was nice helping you out at Cochrane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

http://www.ruralking.com/ford-new-holland-tractor-muffler-8.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Kirk, FO-11 is a great option for cars with limited clearance, but the Walker muffler is only 1" larger in Diameter than a stock T muffler and not being straight through, will not be much louder than stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Les, Thanks for the reply, I guess I will keep my stock muffler. BTW, I don't remember meeting you in person, but did talk with you about your Detroit Electric. I really admire your ability to engineer and build the things you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Jerry
Sorry, mixed you up with another Jerry!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Terry

IMO
The FO-11 kinda looks OE, but the Walker kinda more looks OE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

It may be here tomorrow or Monday at the latest. I'll post again when I get it on car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

The Walker muffler that I ordered from Summit, arrived today. It is Walker part number 18424. If you order from Summit, it is part number WLK 18424. As I stated above, it sells for $31.99 from Summit. It should be available from any Walker dealer but they'll probably not have it in stock, and if your parts man is a real good friend, you might get it cheaper than I did. Purists will not want this muffler, but it is going on a driver, so originality was not important. It is very close in size to a T muffler; 1 1/2" id inlet and outlet (although they are offset from each other), and the shell is the same 12" length. The od diameter of the shell is 6" compared to 5" for the take apart muffler outer shell pictured with it. Pictures, below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

How you gonna hange it? Weld brackets off the old muffler to the new one? Or come up with some rubber strap type hangers?

Show us the installation when you are done and let us know how it sounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Since I don't have the bracket off an original rusted out muffler, I'll likely use a rubber strap type hanger. It is going on a car that I'll be putting up for sale, anyway and it is a driver or tour type car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 08:06 am:

I would like to know how it sounds. Is it loud, soft?
Dennis Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

I'll post that answer when I install it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration