Speedometer gear question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedometer gear question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

I got into the speedometer crate and once again I'm lost picture one is no22 1909-10 but it is steel the others are all Stewart but for what years? Thanking you in advance Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Photo #1 1909-mid-1911
Photo #2 1913
Photo #3 similar to 1912, but others have BLOCK rather than Script Stewart
Photo #4 Post 1919 for 30x3-1/2" tires.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:08 am:

Keith, I can't comment on the years of application attributed to the gears, not knowing much about the early ones. However, your note that the last one is for 30x3.5" tyres is interesting. All the ones I have are like that. The other two are also 60 tooth x 8 pitch gears. Does that mean US cars with 30x3" front wheels had a different size fibre gear on the swivel?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 02:25 am:

Allan-
The 11077 was still a 60T 8P gear, but the center is a little different from the 1915-1919 gear (8685) that fit onto the hub. The various gears had different mounting methods. Sometimes three screws, sometimes four...

There was another road gear for the balloon 4.40x21" tires 30333 that was a 58 T and 8P gear.

The "Ford Special" (ca. 1915) gearing was completely different.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 07:07 am:

The #22 gears were brass plated and always secured by four screws to the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Colin, if the '13 gear is for sale I am interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:20 am:

If I'm not mistaken the road gear in 1913 is still #22. It is mounted with 4 wood screws and spacers. There is no script. Stewart is in block letters. I have a 1322 gear too, and Stewart is still in block letters.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration