Swivel joint question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Swivel joint question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

this box had 9 joints in it and they are all tagged model 1913 some as in the picture are clearly marked 1913 how long was this unit used all the mounts are different,and the last picture what is that I know it is a mount there is no swivel joint. Also would I buy this speedometer book? thanks In advance Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

According to Russ Furstnow's book, the Model #1913 swivel was used in 1912-1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

Colin-
Most of those look like 1914 and later swivels (but will work for you.)
On the end where the nut is, there is usually a number (1-12) which denotes the month the swivel was made.
1=January
2=February...

There is also a letter, which denotes the year.
F=1914
G=1915
H=1916
J=1917
K=1918
L=1919
M=1920
N=1921
P=1922
Q=1923
R=1924
S=1925
T=1926
U=1928

Notice there is no I or O

The second photo with the knurled grease cup looks like the earliest.

The fifth photo with the extension stud is from 1920 and later.

The last photo looks like a 1915 Ford Special mount.

What book are you talking about?

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 12:18 am:

The first and third photos show swivels held together with a bolt and nut. This was introduced in 1924, as the earlier ones held together with a shaft and pressed on collar were prone to come apart in rough conditions.

This would indicate that the 1913 swivel was used over a wide span in time.

This info is in Russ Furstnow's book.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:41 am:

That answers the questions now how do I get Russ Furstnow's Book I keep hearing about it but it is not advertised for sale? Thanks Again Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Get Russ's Speedo book from Lang's . Cat # TAAS 180 pages of data on speedos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Colin-
Russ is currently on vacation and probably will not be available until after Chickasha.

You can email him directly.

1stnow at msn dot com

He also did a series of articles in the Ford Times in 2011-2012 covering speedometers from 1909-1915. The articles have color pictures and I recommend them highly to add to your speedometer reference works.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Thanks I have Dads Club stuff at the farm, It would be nice to have the book, You can never know enough. Cheers Colin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration