I found a new problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I found a new problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 05:50 am:

My TT one ton truck needs new tires the old ones had new old stock air in them But the problem is the split rims are to heavy and thick for my rim jack to fit on them. Is there some way to get the old tires off and new ones on I know it is done because I have seen new tires on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Howdy Eugene,
OK, so you have the 23" split rims on the rear of your TT. I've used rim jacks on these TT rims but to answer your question: a sawsall....
That'll take the old tires off but I don't see why your rim jack - if used correctly - can't collapse the rim. It may be that the rubber seal is stuck to the rim and you need to break the seal to hook the 3 points of your rim jack. You know, of course, that you'll need to reverse the initial positioning of the rim jack when you're ready to install new tires. That way you'll not ruin the rim. Good luck !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Eugene: There are many sizes of rim jacks. I have a big one hanging in my shop that would be for a TT. May try and get a picture of it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:44 am:

The hook on the rim jack is not big enough to hook the rim and wide enough to let the jack settle down in the rim to hook the other two on the rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Rim jacks come in different sizes. You my just need the next size up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

-Eugene-
George is right about the sawsall - or similar. Just be careful during removal! You're likely replacing tube and flap, as well? Those aged rear tires have likely had exposure to lots of different elements over the years, 'welding' themselves to the rims. My Dad's '26 TT presented the same problem. (Mud & cabbage juice/fields from our farm seemed to have made 'super glue'...)
I needed to cut out about a 4" section of the old 30X5 (23") original tires, even using half of a hacksaw blade (I improvised a 'handle/wrap') plus a box-cutter to CAREFULLY cut through the last of the old bead. Then, a large C-clamp working around the tire bead from there. Once loosened, you'll be able to remove the split ring, and then the rest of tire from the rim. Get rid of as much rust as possible. Any finish is your choice.
Double check for sharp edges on the ring and rim before new install. Sharp edges can cut & destroy the bead on your new tire.
After re-assembly, be slow to inflate in stages to desired pressure, stopping to check/observe your progress.
CAUTION! Inflate from the back side with the ring side down on a clean floor, faced away from you. (Think of a 'Ring Explosion!) People have died without thinking of safety and common sense!
Hope this helps.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

-Eugene-
The original tires I removed were 10-ply, and very stiff. The C-clamp I used was a 10" or 12" size, if I remember correctly. Auto-Zone may even have them for you to use and return.
Marv

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration