Large Drum Backing Plate?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Large Drum Backing Plate?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Putting my Ruckstell in and find the brake is tight on the drum. It fit fine on the old axle. Is there a difference in backing plates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Just cosmetic, like the outer drain slot and type of clips for the brake shoes.

Maybe the shoes aren't in the clips?

Or new linings sometime have to be shaved to fit the drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Thanks for the reply Dan. I put my used shoes on and the left side fits great. The right backing plate is different from all the others I have. The clips are not as deep. The ones that fit look like your pictures. No experience with these plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Pat

There was an earlier discussion on the 3 styles of large drum backing plates. This photo summed up what is known as now as to the series. The first is the early one shown in that Service book photo. Be also aware that these backing plates are made new as repros, that may be it too.

You may have to adj. the clips to fit your shoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:59 am:

Thanks again. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Well you nailed it Dan. The clips look home made and are twice as thick as the other backing plates I have. I ground the V area down to the thickness of the stock clips and the drum rotates free now. Thanks again for the help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration