Ford Tri Motor and B-17 at Long Beach airport

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ford Tri Motor and B-17 at Long Beach airport
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Today the Ling Beach Model T Club was asked to provide some cars for a photo shoot at the LB airport with the tri motor and a B-17. The green 39 is mine and the black 39 belongs to Don Skille. I didn't get pictures of all the cars, hopefully Jeff Hood will post more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:14 am:

The bomber needs a mascot painted on the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:45 am:

Steve, do you know what the "X"s mean above the mission paintings (how did they get them to look so alike?) That's a LOT of missions to survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 02:02 am:

It has one Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 03:39 am:

Those "X"s are Jap flags. That is how many Jap planes they shot down on those missions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:52 am:

I took this photo from the top turret 50 cal. position when I went up a few years ago when the Aluminum Overcast visited Boeing Field in Seattle - what a ride !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:57 am:

As an EAA member, I got to ride in the "radio officer's" seat for take-off & landing and got to sit in the Norton bomb sight seat !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:14 am:

I bought a flight on that Trimotor two months ago. We bad a break in the torrential downpours and flew out of Yuba City in spectacular clear skies. The Trimotor was the first true airliner, this one was produced in 1928. If I remember correctly it was once owned by Bill Harrah and has been reskinned twice, once after the tail wheel steering locked up upon landing spoiling the day for the owner and crew. It was reskinned in flat aluminum and the second time was redone in the original corrugated aluminum.

The flight is something you will remember the rest of your life, ho if you have the opportunity. We flew around 1,000' ago in a most comfortable and smooth flight. It was a bit noisy but sitting behind the pilot I could watch the flight deck activity and envy the pilot his Bose noise cancelling headphones! Probably the smoothest and best landing I have experienced yet. I was sitting next to an engine and main wheel and watched the runway slowly come up and gently kiss the wheel just past the numbers... magnificent!

I'll try and post some photos and maybe video when I get back to my computer, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:28 am:

1939 or 1940 ford? I think the green one is a 1937

I have been looking at a 39 2 door sedan... just love that design

(Message edited by stork on March 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Steve, Don and I got to go inside the B-17 and also sat in the bomb seat. Im to tall and to fat to be inside that plane! I was amazed at how tight it is inside that plane. It's made for guys about 5'3" and about 130 lbs. Both planes will be at Long Beach all weekend. Rides in the tri motor are $70 and $495 for the B-17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Robert, the green car is a 1939 2 door standard. The black car is a 1939 2 door delux.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Here's a view of the trimotor flight deck from my seat in flight. Note the new hijack proof security flight deck doors!

Sorry I don't have a bunch of photos to hand, maybe later in the day!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:29 am:

One of our senior firefighters was a navigator on a B-17. He is 94 now and we dont get to see him much. I sure liked listening to stories about counting holes after missions and how cold it got flying. He said the flak smoke was so thick nobody could see flying in formation you stayed the course no matter what. No dodging anything or you crash several planes. That kind of courage is rare to this day.
Thanks for posting pics Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Agreed Kim - those planes were built for a small stature crew & you know me, I'm one of the "smaller guys, for sure - it was tight getting down to the nose to sit in the Norton seat.

Getting to ride in her was the chance of a lifetime ! You should go up !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

I saw my first Tri Motor in 1939 in the air port in Minneapolis. NW Air brought one in for public display. NW started in about 1929 by buying several Tri Motors from another small Minneapolis airline that quit business. The Henry Ford Museum has one . They had wicker covered passenger seats (as I remember) I have a toy Tri Motor from that period. When you pull the toy along , all three propellers turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Yes, the B17 was made for small guys. Most of them were only 18 to maybe 25 at the most, and still pretty slim. Not for us with a "prosperous" gut! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Last summer in Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

one more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

I see that the interior seats are not wicker. Perhaps I am thinking of the first commercial ones in about 1933 that have been on exhibit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Those great planes do make a nice photo op. It's nice you could get the cars close to them. We had a Tri motor here in September but weren't allowed to have our cars that close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Tri Motor right side engine instrument cluster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 08:35 am:

And to think when I was young seening a trimotor was nothing special. The most memorable part was the flat tire that seemed eternal. Later I found out that piece from the trimotor I knew were "borrowed" by Harrah in the restoration of his. In fact one plate (the ford with the wings ) didn't turn out great and was given to my grandpa, I'm not sure who has it now but it was mounted on a nice wooden plate.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration