Sort of OT, waterpump woes or a possible solution

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sort of OT, waterpump woes or a possible solution
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

So my friend was out today and his waterpump gave out, at least the bearings did. He was able to limp home at 6 kts (this was a boat). Upon dissassembly I am now able to identify the seal which may be the answer to leaky T waterpumps. I believe the shaft is 5/8 roughly .625 (if its different when I take it apart I'll post). The OD of the old seal is roughly 1.1 (I will be measuring this when its apart). I have thought this would make an excellent seal for a T waterpump eliminating the drip and packing.

The seal is

GACO
DPSM 16287
ANGUS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Some "circulator" shaft were also 1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Never have had a problem with a Model T water pump after I tossed it in the trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:19 am:

I had one on the first T I purchased. It was there when I got the car. The pump leaked and the shaft was worn. I took it to a machinist to have another shaft made. He made one out of brass (original was steel) This one did not leak, but one cold morning we drove up into the mountains and made a rest stop. The other T members were standing in front of their radiators to warm themselves. I noticed that mine was still cold! I had driven about 30 miles much of which was uphill! Temperature was about 30 F outside.

Next thing happened was we took a tour and the pulley got loose and the screw which holds the pulley to the shaft turned the end of the shaft like a lathe. So that shaft was ruined.

I took off the pump and put on a water inlet and have never used a water pump on any of my 3 Model T's. I have flat tube radiators on all on them and one is a low radiator. Keep the block and radiator clean and the engine tuned up and no overheating problems. We live where it can get into the 100F and many hills. Only time I overheated was when I checked the coolant and the baffle was wet. I thought the coolant level was up to the middle of the top tank, but only the baffle was wet. I was actually over a gallon low.

Anyway, I have proved that a water pump is not necessary, and can actually delay warming up in cold weather. It can also be an unneeded source of trouble.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:47 am:

Royce, don't throw 'em away. They make real good wheel chocks if you have to park on an incline. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Chad
Good stuff and thank you for the information. I see the negative peanut gallery didn't even bother to read your posting completely!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Chad
One other thing to keep in mind is shaft damage/wear. A possible fix is a thing called a "Speedi-Sleeve ". Designed specifically to correct any shaft issues where a seal opperates. A smooth stainless steel drive on sleeve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Chad
One other thing to keep in mind is shaft damage/wear. A possible fix is a thing called a "Speedi-Sleeve ". Designed specifically to correct any shaft issues where a seal operates. A smooth stainless steel drive on sleeve

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration