1913 Turtle Deck Dimensions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 Turtle Deck Dimensions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:02 am:

My turtle deck dimensions are ok, but I noticed today when I went to start painting it, the slats in the bottom are missing. I didn't notice this before. There is a rabbet on the left and right rails of the turtle deck. It appears that I will need maybe a half dozen slats. It looks like they could be about 3 1/2" wide each, and 3/4" thick, with a rabbet to fit into the existing rabbet. If anyone has an original turtle deck they could check for me I'd like that. The body manufacturer is Fisher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 08:46 am:

I thought you assured me the bottom of the turtle deck was supposed to be the sheet metal of the body rear platform ? So, there is supposed to be a wooden "floor" in the turtle fitted to the frame rebate ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:31 am:

I will see if I can come up with measurements on my floor. Got mine from Jim Finney years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Thanks Warren, could you post a picture as well ? Much obliged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Rich, the rear deck is sheet metal which starts at the tack strip and goes all the way to the rear deck rail. When I told you this, the car was in the garage, and I felt around the BOTTOM of the turtle deck wood feeling for a rabbet and could feel one. Well, now I'm painting the turtle deck, out in the sunlight, and there is a rabbet on the top of the left and right rails, which are 3/4" thick, and rabbeted on top. So, it appears the slats are either 3/8 thick, or 3/4 thick with a rabbet on each end. There are very small nail holes along the rabbet indicating they were nailed in. I apologize for the confusion. So, for now, I need to know the width of each slat, and the thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:20 am:

The above post should read I couldn't feel a rabbet on the bottom of the rail wood. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Larry, thanks much ! We're getting to the bottom (pun intended) of this ! I'll have to look closely at the frame that came out of mine to see if there is evidence of nail holes. It's possible the frame was redone in a past restoration, but the side rail rabbets were faithfully reproduced. Of course I'm equally interested in learning how the interior floor was configured!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:45 am:

For starters. Plane enough wood to do the job 1/4 inch. Floor consists of 4 planks or slats. From rear to front: slat (1) 6in wide,31 !/8 long. Slats (2-4) 7in wide x31 1/8. You now have a floor that is 31 1/8 x 27in. Lay the slats out and frame them with back and side framing 1/4 thick and 1 1/2 wide. The front and rear frames pieces are shorter by three inches (1 1/2 x2). The framing is on the top and holds the floor in place. Back piece( nearest body) is a shaped to fit the turtle from the deck to top rear and is attached to floor by a framing piece across the bottom. This back piece ( which I cut from 1/2 in plywood after making a cardboard pattern) is for keeping things in the turtle from hitting the back of the body. Hope this is clear I hope to follow with some pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

After reading the forum posting, I went out to look again at the wood. The only thing that I can see that might be confusing is the back panel. It was probably made of piece of material approximately 1/4" thick, but mine was constructed of half-inch plywood. The tacking strip that I referred to that runs along the bottom and can be seen in the photo is nailed or screwed directly onto the frame and underlying slat pieces.

When the floor assembly and the back assembly are attached, you will have a unit that slides into the tin and is tacked from the bottom of the sheet metal.
When in place, I drilled holes through the wood and framing on the back corners for the carriage bolts to attach to the body floor.

With it fitted and in place, I drilled the upper holes for the carriage bolts through the turtle deck and body floor. Installation then was much like installing a turtle deck on a '25 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Isn't the bottom similar or the same as the 1914 deck like shown?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

That turtle is similar but woodwork seems a little more substantial on yours. The wood dimensions that I used were taken from an original deck that Jim Finney of Oblong , Ill. had back when I restored my 13 in the mid 80s. Without the wood my turtle was a floppy bit of tin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Warren,
When you get a chance can you post a bunch of photos of yours?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Ed, thanks for the post. That is a great photo! That is the type of floor I imagined my '13 to have, but it doesn't! The left and right rails inside the turtle deck have a 3/8" rabbet down each side, and the slats are nailed in from the inside. The photo above must be NOS?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:41 am:

It appears to be original, the picture is from an earlier post here
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/65721.html?1221941017

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 11:26 am:

The forum is the best! This post, plus the one link answered a question I posted about some tacks I found near the mounting bolt holes. The tacks were still in the turtle deck, but the washers were long gone, and the tacks were bent over. It wasn't until I read the link, that I realized the tacks held the leather washers. Thanks to Russ, and Ed for sharing this information.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration