What is it?.... found sandwiched between body and wood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is it?.... found sandwiched between body and wood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Cleaning rust this morning and found this weird bolt sandwiched between the left body panel and the wood frame on my 24 roadster. I have no idea what it is or where it goes.

Any guesses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:48 am:

That looks like the remains of a water outlet bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:05 am:

The tall head is reminiscent of Chevrolet bolts of the teens and 20's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Agreed Eric - tall head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

what is the head & thread dia. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

A lot of early stationary engines were held together with high head bolts I have a Stover and a Fairbanks and all the bolts are of the high head design.I don't think it is "T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

My '07 Buick uses a lot of high head bolts. I suspect the bolt manufactures were generous early on and made the heads shorter as time went on to save material and costs. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) attempted to standardize things and may have had some bearing on head height.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Green paint maybe John Deere? Looks the right shade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

If you want to start an argument more epic than ECCT vs. HCCT vs. Strobospark, ask a a group of John Deere collectors if "Classic Green" or the current shade of John Deere paint is closest to the original colour!
This looks more Oliver green to me, or maybe the shade Fairbanks Morse used on their "Z" engines........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

green paint??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

James, it's an old bolt, and it goes in the bin!
It has the coarse thread and thick head like the water outlet bolts on the cylinder head on early Ts.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Coarse thread bolts pretty generally used a high head before and during the T era. Fine thread bolts used a shorter head, more like what we commonly see on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

James: In my bit of investigating I have come to the conclusion that it is a RUSTY bolt found in a Model T of the vintage era.
I would suggest the you put it in a air tight bag and keep it for future use, It may be just the bolt you need to finish a job on your Model T

Welcome to the Living World of the Model T world, and you best keep or make Room for the 2nd model T as it will happen in the near future!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

James, that's the same color as your Green Tea yes? I sure ain't trying to name your Ford, it's what came out of my fingers. :-)
I got no clue other than it is interesting to me and it's been there a looonnnggg time.
I like little useless bits that come out of typical crevasses. I save 'em. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Does anyone know when Ford ceased using the high head bolts? I know the later T's don't use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

I have a 1922 hardware catalog from PA Tire 7 Rubber. They still show their line of coarse thread bolts as having high heads.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration