Picking up 1923 Touring... Towing thoughts....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Picking up 1923 Touring... Towing thoughts....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Klinger on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

I am picking up a 1923 Touring this weekend. I am using a U-haul flatbed auto transport trailer to haul to my approximately 75 miles away.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the trailer right to the car, which has been in a garage for the last 10 years. The owner, prior to passing away, let air out of the tires, preventing someone from stealing the car...(ugh) once I get the tires aired up, I will need to push the car about 50 feet to the trailer... Here are the questions...

1. Prior to pushing the car to the trailer, are there any things I need to do. Since the car has been sitting for so long, I dont want to damage any engine components. I would assume that I need to put the car in the 'middle neutral' position in order to roll.

2. Once on the trailer, where should I put my straps to hold down the car, making sure nothing gets damaged?

Thank you all for the help!
Jason in COT in a garageT in a garage 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

I would put it in neutral and then push it out being careful where you push. Some things may bend. then use a come along to get it on the trailer with the help of some friends pushing. Again you don't want to pull the axel too hard. When you strap it down don't put too much pressure on the axle it can bend. I'd try to use the straps for the tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

If you don't find a good neutral position, remove the spark plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Do NOT push on the fenders! They're too flimsy and can bend, if not even bend or break the irons holding them on the car. I would think the spare tire carrier would be a good place, as well as the top iron arms sticking out of the car. They're attached pretty strongly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

I've never owned a trailer for a T but have used U-Haul rentals for three tows, one for 1,200+ miles. I used the front tire straps which did well. I used a couple tiedowns in the rear from the T frame to the frame on the trailer. I checked frequently for the first 50 miles but relaxed a bit when it was discovered all was well. All mine were drivable and driven on the trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Cross strap to front and rear cross members not the axles if you don't use the wheel tie downs. Trailering with the straps to the axles, you can pull the wishbone out of the socket, same with towing. Check the straps after a few miles and take up any slack. Take the plugs out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Do not use U-Haul basket straps on Model T front tires. Bring your own straps and tie to the frame as others have suggested.

Those straps slipped off my son's front tires while towing his T. Those straps were non-functional last year on the U-Haul I picked up in Philadelphia to bring a car home.

Tractor Supply and other places sell the tie downs at a bargain price. Use the right equipment for the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Just so others that dont know get the info : Is it ok to winch up in reverse into a flatbed with a strap hooked in the rear axle center close to the differential ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

A 6 x 12 uhaul utility box trailer works great and is much cheaper to rent at $31.95 per day. Of course you will need to provide a couple pieces of wood for the ramps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

My experience with U-Haul wheel straps was the opposite of Gary's. They were like this at every stop. Totally useless. Straps to the frame are the way to go.

Mike, I would attach the cable to the frame rather than the axle. Attaching to the axle probably won't bend a tube, but attaching to the frame guarantees against it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Jason, I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome to the affliction. If this is your first Model T, these are for you.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

When you push the car, I find it easier to push the top of the rear wheel. You will have more leverage that way. Don't push by the front wheels because that could cause the wheels to turn. Have at one second person along to steer the car.

When you load, if you winch, it would be better to tie to the rear frame or spring. Not to the axle which could bend the housing.

If you tie down to the axles, you can also run a second strap each side to pull toward the center of the car so the weight is on the axles but not pulling either forward or backward.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

I have found the front baskets the same uselessness as Steve Jelf, so I weave the baskets in and out of the front spokes and use it as a tie down on top of using ratchet straps- never moves after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Best to back the car onto the trailer with a ratchet strap. This makes it easier to get off the trailer driving forwards. Driving in reverse is tricky because the steering has a strong tendency to go off center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Jason,

An open car should not go on an open trailer.

Beg borrow or steal an enclosed trailer.

If you have never transported a Model T before, you're better off to have someone to assist you with experience.

Take your time, ask around, get some help.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Thats a beaty Jason !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trailering a touring on an open trailer. People do it frequently and for many miles without any problems as long as you take some common sense precautions.

Jason - Trailering a T is a common topic posted on this forum. Unfortunately, for a new user, the layout of this forum isn't too intuitive or like most others on the internet.

Here is a sampling of threads on the trailering topic and you'll find many more by simply googling "Trailer Touring MTFCA". Most any topic can be found by adding the acronym "MTFCA" to the end of your google search.

Be sure to do some reading on the best attachment points. And make sure you remove the floorboards and strap down the top.

Good luck and let us know when you've made it!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/6/1779.html?1051795525

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/567711.html?1442236513

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478163.html?1410993568

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/633675.html?1460681502

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

P.S. What are the wire wheels up in the shelf and are you leaving any other good parts behind??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Somewhere in the middle of Montana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I didn't see it mentioned but make sure to secure the convertible top with some tie down straps to keep the wind from trying to balloon it up, which will cause damage. Also, put some "stuff" (tool box, air tank, etc) in the floor boards in case they try to float up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Dan is correct. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hauling an open car on an open trailer. Just be sure you check the weather forecast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

You can put the floor mats, front floor boards and the seat cushions in the tow vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Steve, love those Heavy Duty wheels you have on the Runabout...Double spokes are much stronger. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

My first T just arrived today. The seller delivered the car tied to the trailer with 4 ratchet straps on the axles. He teaches trailer towing, and is an avid T collector so I feel good about the way it made it's journey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

There is also mud on the tires in Montana

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Joosse on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Whether you're towing an open or closed car, be sure the hood is well secured. If not certain, especially on unrestored vehicles with old fasteners, put that in the tow vehicle, as well. Friend of mine was towing home an unrestored open car and happened to look in the mirror just as the hood flew off and right under the wheels of a truck behind him! Took some of the enjoyment out of his day, to say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 12:19 am:

Welcome to the affliction/addiction of the model T!
When we pushed my '18 out of the shed last fall (after have been sitting for 30 or so years), around a couple corners to get around other vehicles to get to the trailer, it was damn stiff but went with no problems.
Ya, I was in back and twisted on the rear wheels but we were able to put air in all tires. It was up on blocks all that time. Not bad.
1. Jason, you already know what to do. Find the sweet spot (neutral) in the brake lever and Heave-Ho!
2. Go for the frame. IF you want it to look pretty on its trip, just strap everything down as shown above. :-)
Shoot, we put the windshield frame and left rear fender ON, BEFORE the 2-1/2 hour trip. Then stopped at the car wash for a rinse-down.

(Message edited by Duey_C on March 04, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 01:23 am:

I hope i didnt make a big boobboo winching all the way up into a flatbed from
the rear end ... ( had the strap hooked in the center by differential {please tell me its ok !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 07:31 am:

I just brought home a 26 coupe that's been sitting for years last Saturday night. My son and I pushed it up on the trailer. If you feel neutral or have someone push the clutch in it should come right out. I use axle straps to go over the axles front and back. They work nice to keep from scratching up your axles and your not looking for a place to hook the straps either. The can be bought at tractor supply. Lay them across the axles fornt and rear and hook the ratchet straps to them. They have a triangle end on them and the ratchet straps hooks hook onto them. I have used them on every model t and A I have hauled for 20 years. Just tighten it up and drive 4-5 miles and recheck to make sure their tight. Drive slow and a open car you might want to secure the seats bottoms and floor boards depending on how fast your going to drive. JMHO Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 07:42 am:

I should have added the front tire straps on the U-Haul trailer were used on Balloon tire, wire wheeled T's. I cinched them once at the first check stop and they remained secure there after. Narrower tires may react differently

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Mike, it's OK (probably). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Mike if the car rolls freely and you are not going up a very steep incline I seriously doubt you did any damage. As far as trailering an open car on an open trailer, you can do it without issue but have to take precautions. If you do not have a boot for your top it needs to be well secured or it will blow out like a parachute and I would never trailer with the top up if I was going to drive faster than I would go in the Model T under its own power. Wind resistance on the windshield and top can be very damaging. Make sure everything is tightly screwed or bolted down like side and tail lamps and the seat cushions are either a very tight fit or remove them. When I used to trailer on an open trailer I removed the floorboards too. Rain was the only reason I switched to a closed trailer but I found it to be a very good storage space between uses and well worth the cost given the space issues we all seem to have to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Klinger on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:38 am:

This group is great!! Lots of great information! I can't wait to get the T home and baby her back to her new life. I have some items to pick-up today and make my check list. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow night after I get it.
Thank you all again!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 11:14 am:

THanks Jason for letting taking part , and also Steve, Val and all others .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

I'll agree with freighter Jim. Sure, it is possible to tow a T on an open trailer, but bear in mind that you are towing a car designed to travel at 35-40 mph. That's how fast you should tow the T. An enclosed trailer is the way to go. I also agree with those who advocate straps around the frame. Consider what would happen if you have to make a panic stop. Don't think that it can't happen. When I towed my T to Florida from Massachusetts, some idiot pulled out onto I-95 at the first exit past the Georgia-Florida line and in the middle travel lane just stopped for no reason. I did make the stop and avoided an accident, but I'm damn glad that the T was strapped down solidly in four places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Klinger on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Hey there guys!! Got the T home today. I must admit that I had a tear in my eye as I was driving home and looking back and seeing her there. I can't wait to start looking into her and bringing back to life a piece of the past.

I have included some pics for your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks again for the help! I am sure that I will be picking your brains in the near future.1923 Model TModel T - 1Model T - 2Model T - 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:17 am:

Jason,

Great images ....

Glad your trip went well !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:24 am:

Jason what a great looking T. Congrats! Looks like your barn is fairly new. If you want yo keep floor nice, put cardboard under it. It will mark its spot. Thanks for posting great photos.
Drive safe and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Great pics and glad you made it home safely. That T looks like it just needs a good dusting off and you're ready to ride

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:50 am:

The front wheel straps on a U-Haul work great if you use them correctly and then wrap either a wire tie around the wheel and strap at the front of the wheel. Be sure to place an old towel under the wire tie. I have seen people use duct tape reversed with the sticky side out for this purpose as well. I like the wire ties myself though. Those straps work great that way!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:56 am:

Wow Jason, looks great!

Be sure to read the "welcome packet" information in the two links posted above by Steve Jelf. This one I good too: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html

Congrats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Jason looks like you have plenty of room for a few more T's. Don't be surprised if they start multiplying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:24 am:

The comments about the dangers of towing on an open trailer prompt me to show this example of wind damage. Yes, it can happen.

Note the location and condition of the windshield.

The car was towed at interstate highway speeds, with this result. This has never been a problem for me because my tow vehicle is such a voracious gas hog that I observe a speed limit of 55 mph when towing.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Jason

Your new T looks great.

But, I must admit, my first thought after seeing the pictures of your T in your shop, was....you've got room for at least one and maybe two or more additional T's.

With that extra space, you need to keep a close eye on your T as they have been known to multiply at will.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cooley on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 11:34 am:

I've been reading these posts with great interest. Thank you all for the sage advice. I have been reading/studying this forum for about three months.

I am picking up my 1920 Touring this Sunday. We will be picking it up with a U-Haul Transit and driving a little over 100 miles each way. Do I need to remove the cowl lights or just wrap them with plastic film?

I purchased it from a member of this forum. It has been a well loved, driven, and maintained T.

Thank you,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony L on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Great pictures and comments! Does anyone have pictures of their TT being towed?

I am most interested in the closed cab with the stake "body."

Thanks!

-Anthony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cooley on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 11:56 am:

I apologize for the stupid question. I followed the links posted and see that the T's with cowl lights are just wrapped. I had read these posts before but am kind of overloaded with all of the information provided.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I have a TT closed cab/stake bed, and had to get it from CT to Spokanistan,
but in review of my photos, failed to take a picture of it on the transport. I can
tell you this, it was shipped in an enclosed, multi-vehicle trailer and the driver
and I had to move cars out of the way to get it clear to unload, and put all the
other cars back on the trailer.

Other than that, it has moved under its own power for the past few years, except
when pushed by hand.

It seems to this Model T neophyte that open towing at any speed faster than
what the vehicle might do under its own power is just begging for a wad of
predictable repairs. One doesn't even have to call Captain Obvious for that
kind of advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Klinger on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

Great looking TT Burger! Since this post I have gone out and purchased an enclosed high wall trailer for my T (8x24x8). I get to pick it up later next week. :-)

This was definitely a lot longer than I wanted, but I was able to get this at a great price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

One more thing about pushing! DONT push on the rear panel of the car! It doesn't take much to put a big dent on the rear panel. The rear fenders wont take much pushing either as others have stated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony L on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Burger in Spokane,

Thanks for the picture and comment. I am in the research phase (pre-purchase) of my own TT.
Hauling it around is an area of growing knowledge for me.

Thanks again.

-Anthony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

When retrieving your car you might consider removing the spark plugs in case the clutch sticks and you don't get neutral. Pushing will be easier.

I recommend not tying the frame down when towing. As the car bounces on the trailer the straps will slack and tighten. This will allow the car to move on the trailer and it really beats up the car. I used to strap the axles as some have shown above. The front axle straps easily, but I used to run a strap in the back over the axle, under the torque tube and then back over the other axle and down to the trailer. That worked great... right up until it broke the torque tube!

Now I recommend using only the wheel basket straps. They go on easily, are relatively clean as you don't have to get under the car. They are secure and allow the car springs to cushion the body.

I have never used U-Haul basket straps. Perhaps the folks who had problems with them were not using them correctly, or maybe the straps have a design problem. I used the ones I get at swap meets or on E-bay. They go over the tire and go through a steel ring. I've never had a problem with them on any size tire.

I now place them horizontally about the level you see here at the rear of the wheels.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Bob, you know we're gonna want you to start a thread with pics of your T!
Safe travels on Sunday. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony L on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA,

Good ideas!

-Anthony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cooley on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

I made a long checklist for trailering it with all of the great advice. I'm really excited and have some angst about getting home safely.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cooley on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

I made a long checklist for trailering it with all of the great advice. I'm really excited and have some angst about getting it home safely.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony L on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Bob Cooley,

You are smart and prepared, that is a recipe for success. :-) Enjoy the process. I wish I was bringing a T home soon. haha ;)

-Anthony

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration