What is this Ford wrench?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is this Ford wrench?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

A Trade School or factory wrench?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Kim, it is most likely English. That style of wrench is referred to as a King Dick. King dick is a brand of tool in England. That wrench type has become a king dick just like the US style is referred to as a crescent wrench even though it may not be made by Crescent.

I have a T model wrench which is made the same way as all the others, so this may be from a later vehicle, like a Prefect or Anglia.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

Thanks Allan

Learned a new term now! Will start calling my crescent a king dick!

And the amazing internet, here is a Ford script King Dick for sale on eBay!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VINTAGE-6-FORD-ADJUSTABLE-SPANNER-WRENCH-SUIT-FORD-TOOL-K IT-/252770762340?hash=item3ada4fbe64%3Ag%3AyAkAAOSwZQRYe6yZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

I picked up these King Dick box tube wrenches for two bits a piece a while back at an estate sale. I believe they are for an MG. They go for good money on eBay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Really resisting commenting on this. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Sometimes I like double entendre humor. Sometimes I do not. But at least I learned a bit about English wrenches today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Spanner. Not wrench :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Spanner. Not wrench :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Dutifully corrected.
Thanks Rob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Not a spanner, which is a non adjust. wrench.
I have usually heard them referred to here [ New Zealand] as a Monkey wrench, which I think you use in US as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Adjustable spanner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Rob, as Wayne pointed out, a spanner is a fixed end tool. Open enders, ring spanners, combinations of both, are all spanners. More common on adjustable wrenches is shifter. A shifter can be your crescent type or the King Dick type.

May you rest in confusion.
Allan from down under, where a box spanner is correctly called a ring spanner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

I worked for a guy who called them a "fitzall" or "fits all" because they fit all sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Wayne has it right, in the US we monkey with wrenches, just like the kiwis do ! ;- )

Monkey wrenches are also affectionately ( ? ) called "knuckle-busters" . . . I wonder why ?

" . . . got a metric socket that don't quite fit,
but if you wiggle just a little, then it don't quite slip,
Vice-grips for pliers, pliers for a wrench,
wrench for a hammer, hammers everything else,
just don't seem to make no difference,
I sure do like ya son, but you're hard on equipment ! . . . "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Thanks for all your comments, seems it's either English or a trade school project. I got it in a box of parts a friend from Oregon asked me to sell for him. If it's a Ford designed wrench, it's pretty early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Kim, just to add to the confusion, I believe this type of adjustable wrench is not early but was a common type of English design seen throughout the '40's &'50's, maybe into the early '60's.
I have one & think it may be from a Ford Prefect, Anglia or Zephyr 6.
Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Unfortunately, ALL of my adjustable spanners are metric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Rob, you must be using them incorrectly. Just turn them over and everything will be all right.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

-Rob, Allen-
Have you been able to identify whether they're right-handed or left-handed??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I have Marv. Don't know about Rob. The other thing to watch out for is some are made for left handers.
When you come across one of those, the adjusting worm is turned the opposite way to right handed ones.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Allan,
I have several adjustable metrics.
One of them however, stands out from the rest. It's very well made, is precise (for a shifter) and is, as you describe, with the worm operating back-to-front to what we're used to.
Its an IREGA, made in Spain.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Rob, Bahco claims to have invented the shifter. Over the years they have changed designs repeatedly. The early types with parallel side on the handle screwed open one way. Then they introduced the handle which tapered and these opened the opposite way. Next they changed this back to the same as the older version.

They ended up making all the Sidchrome shifters too. These will have Sweeden embossed in the handle.

Today they have absorbed many other brands of tools into the conglomerate. These include quality brands like Berg and Lindstrom. Many of the brands of shifters available today come out of their factory in Spain. Each has its own brand laser etched into the handle. I suspect your Irega is just another of those multiple brands.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration