Crooked valve spring seat pin removal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Crooked valve spring seat pin removal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Hi, I put my valve back in but the pin is stuck in the seat so that the seat sits crooked instead of flat. How do I get the pin back out? If I try to compress the spring using a spring compressor it just rides up with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

I would use the valve spring compressor to release the tension and then grab the pin with a "vice grip" and wiggle and pull. I'm guessing that you haven't removed the cylinder head and wish to avoid that? Otherwise just push down on the valve after you have compressed the spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

I think the pin is stuck over the top of the inner edge so all attempts to use a spring compressor or press down on the valve (cylinder head is off) just make the seat ride with the pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Ignacio, if the pin is jammed into the seat and the spring compressor can't be used, use the studs for the valve cover for a fulcrum point to use a long screwdriver to insert into the spring right above the seat. Try prying up on the spring slightly to see if you can then slip the pin into place.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration