Need Advice: Sheet Metal Straightening

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need Advice: Sheet Metal Straightening
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

For some original 26-27 Model T fenders and other sheet metal items, I am going to have to fix some dings and small creases in the sheet metal. From you experts, I'd appreciate some advice to think about for working with this hard brittle metal so I don't crack it in the process. I am especially concerned where the side of a very nice fender was pushed in along the rolled under wire edge and will have to be pulled back out to get that nice and straight fender edge (i.e. do I heat the sheet metal with a torch and hammer it or press it back to shape - or do it cold with a shop press or clamp? Should I cool it after heating?). Any advice on techniques and tools and would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

There are many good booklets on metal-working and body work. The short answer to your question is "all of the above", but it depends on the type of damage you're trying to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 03, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

William
If you are dealing with rear coupe/roadster fenders, please don't use them for a "learning experience ". They are kind of made from un-obtanium"!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 08:03 am:

Get an English wheel or take them to someone who knows how to use one. You can also pound out dents and creases with a body hammer and dolly on a Model T easier than on newer vehicles. Just take your time and work the dents out from the edges toward the center. My '26 had front and rear fenders loaded full of bondo. I blasted it all off and took my time getting the dents out. To finish them off took some coats of build-primer with block sanding in between. The results are worth the effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Butler on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 10:40 am:

I have an antique English Wheel called a "fndrol"
I use on all my sheet metal. It is small and hand operated and can be used with the fenders in place which helps to force them to maintain their shape while working on them.
It is extremely laborious work but can help salvage much metal that one might give up as lost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Thanks gentlemen. All good advice, hammering techniques from Kevin, etc. David, I've seen the fndrol you mentioned in action on a learning video sorta like Rich suggests which until now I had forgotten about. But, I remember that tool provided a very good result with no collateral damage to surrounding metal, like a pinpointed repair - thanks for re-jogging my memory.

Les, I did google "unobtainium" and am still trying to figure out if Henry Ford would have been able to get to the moon to mine that for making sheet metal. But, luckily I do not have Coupe fenders - it is a Tudor Sedan.

Have a Great Day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

I Bought some 26 fenders and took them to the blasters place he media blasted and ended up with tiny pin holes underneath. The body shop fixed them and gave them back,they ended up doing the topside but went back and fiberglassed all the underneath. Not happy so at least try it yourself. I know have enough in useable trash fenders to have bough a nice originals and or new. But I am gonna stick them on Rufus the 26 rpu he won't know the difference for now. I will find slick ones another time. I would be embarrassed to turn out that type of work. JMho Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

I Bought some 26 fenders and took them to the blasters place he media blasted and ended up with tiny pin holes underneath. The body shop fixed them and gave them back,they ended up doing the topside but went back and fiberglassed all the underneath. Not happy so at least try it yourself. I know have enough in useable trash fenders to have bough a nice originals and or new. But I am gonna stick them on Rufus the 26 rpu he won't know the difference for now. I will find slick ones another time. I would be embarrassed to turn out that type of work. JMho Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration